Friday, March 15, 2013

QUARTETTO TABLES

I bought a few single elements of Chinese Export Lacquer Quartetto Tables yesterday--so I thought I'd give a little expose on Quartetto Tables, currently referred to as nesting tables.
The English Regency period, with Thomas Sheraton' publication of "The Directory" of furniture styles in 1803, first promulgated the use of Quartetto (set of four) Tables. These were practical sets of tables which nested under the largest tables and were used for games of checkers and as put-away work or sewing tables.

Gillows of London

The example shown above is by the famous English furniture maker of the early 19th century, Gillows of London. This set includes a drawer for the checkers pieces on the smallest table. The following example is more representative of the traditional Regency period Quartetto Table form and is crafted of beautifully grained walnut. Note the ring turned legs and banded tops. These tables fit perfectly within the largest table and have a gorgeous simple profile.

  
The next two photos show a highly refined Regency period set of tables--the rosewood and exceptional profile makes these a top notch find. Note the beautiful  serpent head feet and coloration.

   

The following examples of Quartetto Tables are Chinese Export Lacquer tables and are all of excellent quality and condition for their age and use. My favorites are the Gracie examples. 

Gracie New York

Gracie New York
  
Here are a few more Chinese export examples:

  


These last examples are composed of only three tables which may indicate that the set lost the smallest table or perhaps because these sets date to the later nineteenth century, they were originally comprised of only three tables.

The following examples are of iconic 20th century nesting tables: Edward Wormley for Dunbar--note the very unusual set of five tables, Maison Jansen, Kaare Klint and a French Deco example. 
Edward Wormley for Dunbar

 
Maison Jansen
Kaare Klint

French Deco
All of the above examples of Quartetto and Nesting Tables were taken from 1stdibs.com. Please refer to 1stdibs.com for further information and pricing.

There are numerous other examples of modern nesting tables...Just goes to show that when a design is great, it lasts forever and will be reinvented with each generation. 

Here are photos of the single tables that I bought yesterday. I'm not really sure why I had to have these guys. It's probably due to the fact that I love the history and the stories that these tables would tell if they could talk. They all need restoration and I'm hoping that Roberto is up to the task...I bet he is and he's coming next week.




         
I have this set of mid-20th century Maison Bagues style brass and glass nesting tables in inventory (the finial adventure).

Bagues Style
   
And Roberto is painting a set of three nesting tables in black "lacquer" which will go to the faux painter for gilt detailing....yes, I love tables almost as much as I love chairs.

Jones is loving Spring and the Park and daylight savings--me, too.
Have a wonderful Spring week-end.

Mary & Jones (and Cole)

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Mary ~
    Great post! I love these nesting tables. They are so handy and fabulous. In Paris last week, I saw a set of Bagues faux bamboo bronze ones. So chic! So pricey, sadly! Look forward to seeing more of Roberto's magic :)
    xo
    Loi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Loi, I wish that I could have hitched a ride in your back pocket to Paris last week. I love Paris, I used to cry every time "Paris" was spoken out loud. Happy St. Patrick's Day--being 95% Irish, we are all celebrating here. xoxox
      Mary

      Delete