Sunday, July 21, 2013

OTHER AUCTION TREASURES (SCORES)

Last Thursday was a very good day--and I was in the "zone".....Here are just a couple of the items that I bought (in addition to the vintage Fortuny fragment). Of course they need a bit of restoration, but then most antiques do--major cleaning, polishing, finish work, reupholstery, etc.

This gorgeous (soon to be) Meiji period Japanese candlestick in black lacquer, gold leaf and repouse brass was a sleeper.
   

I went to 1stdibs to find a comparable candlestick....


I'm not going to quote the 1stdibs price point for these gorgeous sticks--these guys appear to be in all original condition, which does increase their value considerably. My single stick, having been electrified and having lost its mate has a much lower valuation point, but has wonderful decorative value. I do have to change the electrical fittings and bring the lacquer back to a higher level and polish the brass detailing--my amazing magician Roberto will have no trouble doing this restoration work.

Peacock Fan chairs were emblematic of the late 60's and early 70's. Hans Wegner created one 
  

Verner Patton created an entirely unique peacock chair


But the one I bought was the rattan peacock chair designed and woven in the Philippines.


And it even came with its matching little table. Both the chair and the table are in exceptional condition and ready to go--as you can see, this rarely happens.


And then....eureka!! KLISMOS CHAIRS!! I spied this fantastic set of 4 French (?) wrought iron klismos chairs hiding under some stuff and being sold with a table that did not match




Just look at the gorgeous forge work--little feet, detailed saucy arm rests, thick soft iron, etc.

I know, I know, I promised myself that I would not buy any more chairs.....but how could I pass them up?

The last item still needs to be further researched. I know that it is most probably a unique piece dating to the 1960's and Italian...beyond that, it is still a mystery. 
  

It needs to have two of the glass sun rays restored--but I have a very good glass restorer who is coming tomorrow to give me an estimate.
As always, I feel so grateful to be able to do what I love--the eternal hunt...research...and bringing an item back to its best condition.

MIA UPDATE
It has been a tough few days, but tonight Mia seems to be doing better. Prayers still needed as her recovery remains tenuous--tomorrow (the 4th day post surgery) should be a much brighter day.

I hope that the week brings fantastic summer weather for everyone--not too hot, but just right.
Be well.

Mary & Jones (and poor Cole)

2 comments:

  1. Mary what great and very interesting finds!!
    You have an eye for the very best!
    Praying for Mia , every day will be better and better!

    xoxo
    Karena
    2013 Designer Series and Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karena, Thank you!! And Mia is getting back to her feisty self. I'm so grateful.
      xoxo
      Mary

      Delete