Monday, May 25, 2015

I KNOW, I KNOW-- I DIDN'T INTEND...........

It would be a huge understatement to describe the last 6 weeks as tumultuous...........so I won't go into the gory details. But I did come out on the other side with my two feet firmly planted and not too much the worse for wear.  I did miss blogging, but simply didn't have enough energy to have a creative thought.

Now on to the good stuff...
I didn't buy anything for about a month--jut too busy with other stuff and since business was a little off, there really wasn't any point. But this past month has been great; so I'm once again "on the hunt"---which means auction time. My first week back to auction, I laid low with my bidding. There is a definite rythm to bidding and if you are off your rythm, it's best not to bid until you are back in the swing of the gladiator/arena contest.
But Thursday (I preview Wednesday and spotted a couple of things)--I had my eye on this little beauty. (I had been looking for a Renzo Rutili for Johnson Furniture credenza for about two years.) And here was this little beauty sitting pretty. I would have preferred a longer credenza, but this one worked. The condition of the gold leafed door panels is excellent; however the lacquered top has suffered a bit. In the past, I've always sent the piece right off to be restored; this time, I think that I'll wait a bit. Angie (and I agree) thinks the the crackling of the black lacquer gives the piece authenticity and character. Plus, because of the the California EPA standards being tightened a couple of months ago, it is almost impossible to obtain the products necessary for a lacquered finish.......... (always something).
So here is my little Renzo Rutili credenza just after I bought her at auction--she measures just 50"--but those 50" pack a punch. 





Lorenzo (Renzo) Rutili (1901-1966) was born in Donora, Pennsylvania. He studied at Carnegie Institute and for several years continued his design studies in Europe. Rutili worked for Johnson Furniture (Gran Rapids, Michigan) for over 30 years. Subsequently he worked for Tomlinson Frniture Co. of North Carolina for three years.
Rutili was the only designer to incorporate gold leafing to this extent--although his designs were incorporated into the design vocabulary of several different furniture companies of the period.
I pulled a few photos of similar Renzo Rutili pieces from 1stdibs.com. None are quite like the piece that I just purchased. (Sorry about the spacing of these 1stdibs photo--couldn't crop them)


These are definitely New York, high style pieces, but since lately most of my items are going back East, I definitely am shopping for this look. And besides, Chinoiserie is starting to make a come-back. And to honor this resurgence, I acquired (spent way too much money) on this pair of gorgeous Italian Chinoiserie lamps that I believe were created by Paul Hansen in the early 1960's.






The carved detailing of the porcelain is exceptional--they are a little over the top to pair with the credenza, but they'll find their spot. And last up is this mid-century lamp with it's original shade. I believe that the pottery is Japanese Studio Pottery--you can see the form the fingers took on the potting wheel and look at the large cut out which is difficult to maintain during the firing.........but what really gets me is the gorgeous glazing of the pottery. The shade was custom made for the lamp with that little filet of color exactly matching the rich blue of the lamp. 


Well, we are off to celebrate Kaia's birthday--I made brownies (Kaia doesn't like icing) and guacamole......

Happy Memorial Day to all--especially in remembrance of those that have given their lives for our freedom.

Blessings!!

Mary & Jones & Cole.


2 comments:

  1. Mary!! It is so good to see you back, I of course have been thinking of you!!
    The credenza is gorgeous and I absolutely love the carved Chinoiserie lamps!
    You are back in action! Happy Birthday to Kaia!!

    xoxo
    Karena
    The Arts by Karena
    Coco Chanel: Three Weeks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karena, Yep! I'm back. So many lessons learned, All good ones.
    xoxoxo Mary

    ReplyDelete