Sunday, April 24, 2016

SOMETIMES YOU HAVE TO SAY YES!!!

I'm so proud of myself for setting a limit on what I would spend on the French Louis XVI style settee of my last post


This puppy, so badly in need of reupholstery, went for the unbelievable sum (bid + lot fee) of $1500--add to that the minimum $550-$700 for reupholstery costs and there goes the profit. Remember this was NOT a period pieces of furniture and the finish (although fun) was poor.
I decided instead to concentrate on the various pieces that I had felt compelled to buy--but then wondered if I hadn't lost my mind.
Lalo, my upholsterer, brought this super pair of late 19th c. barrel back bergeres to me yesterday. I had purchased them because the two missing cushions from my set of 10 Brighton Pavilion chairs 


had ended up on the Louis XVI chairs. The Louis were really raggedy--the caned seat in one of the chairs had a huge hole. the cane was too crisp (fragile) to risk selling (I only offer items that meet my strict criteria) and they were badly in need of Roberto's magic--dirty and scratchy. So look at what arrived


Not too shabby for cast-offs. Of course, the fabric (and the cost of the custom down and feathers cushions) and labor costs were quite a bit more than the cost of the chairs.
Next up.......I bought this charming chest of drawers for me--it's Baker, but not marked, which is strange--but when I got it home, I realized that this guy was a seller; so off it went to the shop and into Roberto's magic hands


This chest dates to the late 50's or early 60's and is in a "French" neoclassical style in cherry and walnut. It's got a super look as I can price it very competitively. Both of these guys will be posted to 1stdibs this week (I think).
And finally:  I bought this very large (103" wide) mid-19th c. Chinese Elm Altar Table thinking that it would look great against the back wall and that I could display lamps on top and shorter items below. 



Roberto just waxed (needed no other restorations) it; so the photos show the unwaxed table. Well, guess what item has generated the most interest in the past month?? Yep, the piece that I bought for display purposes only. I've got three clients who are measuring spaces for it. Goes to show--you just never know what's around the corner. And that (usually) if you are following the voice in your ear and stepping out of your comfort zone at times--there just might be a plan beyond what is immediately visible.... sounds easy doesn't it?  Well, guess what? It's not! Especially when this stepping out in faith involves family and deeper, soul deep decisions.
Jones is coming to work today--he loves all of the attention and TREATS.
Blessing for a glorious spring day.

Mary & Jones & Cole


No comments:

Post a Comment