Monday, September 11, 2017

BUSY, BUSY BUSY and Crazy Lalo



It looks like Lolo (my upholsterer) was cutting out a poncho........This was a piece of very expensive silk velvet that was a remnant from another project. I gave Lalo a tiny Louis XVI foot stool to upholster (with nail heads!!).....didn't think I needed to tell him to be careful when he cut the fabric. I had to laugh, who would have thought to cut from the middle of the fabric?? And Lalo is good at what he does, just look at this diamond tufting 


Thank goodness he didn't cut from the middle of a large fabric section. This is just one of the journeys we take in life.....
I've been really busy the last couple of weeks.....buying and working with suppliers. Restoration is always an adventure... Roberto picked up the George III chest last week and it's gorgeous the second time around.



The second time around is a charm (hopefully). I love this big beefy chest even though he has been a bit painful (some people would say a B-I-.......). And I now have a truly trusted finish restorer. Up next is the George III tilt table top.......
As for buying..........well, last Thursday was very fruitful--which is great because I've been selling.
We bought this pair of amazing "glam" consoles.....


I thought that they were Maison Jansen, at first, but after really checking them out, I think that they are most probably Grosfield House and they look like Tony Duquette gave them them a touch up. Love them just as they are--a bit funky. They have eglomise glass tops, too.
We did manage to get quite a bit more (at least that's what the final tally states...) here are a few of the winners.
Another pair of heavy c.1960s Asian elephant garden seats


The male is a bit larger than the female--these guys have great patina and are less refined (and happier) than the turquoise guys that came home last month.
Gerry bought a superb late 20th c. rope-carved barrel back chair


The gold leaf on this chair is in near mint condition and the upholstery is over the top--instead of buttons in the diamond tufting there are silk tassels!!


And finally, this pair of wicker swan-armed chairs that are weathered with great patina and yummy.


I don't have photos of a couple of other items; so I'll post about them later.
I love the fact that (at least for me) the buyers are shifting towards a more encompassing aesthetic: I'm seeing antique tables with natural patina selling super well; French pieces are slowly coming back into the design repertoire and 80s Glam is looking good.
I love great (and I mean really great) mid-century design, but to see the same mid-level pieces and design themes over and over and over is pretty boring.
The boys, Jones and Cole are doing super well--they are getting up there in age, but are holding their own. Especially naughty Mr. Jones--he escaped today and do think he came back when called? No. And I still had my pajamas on...........
I know that God was watching over so many people in the path of the hurricanes--but we, as brothers, need to commit to continue to contribute to the massive relief efforts.
Blessings.
Mary & Jones & Cole

No comments:

Post a Comment