Tuesday, September 26, 2017

DONGHIA KLISMOS CHAIRS DESIGNED BY JOHN HUTTON


My friend Gerry and I purchased the above set of Donghia klismos Chairs at auction over the week-end.
The chairs were designed for Angelo Donghia by the prolific American designer, John Hutton. I had not heard of John Hutton (1947-2006) until we purchased these amazing 1980s Klismos-form chairs.......I recommend studying up on this furniture designer whose work encompassed all segments of furniture design.
Anyway, I brought the chairs to shop today and took a few quick photos. The chairs really are stunning: the bent wood seats are clad in fine leather (other examples are veneered in rosewood or simple lacquer) with incised details. 








We are very fortunate that all six of the chairs are in very good condition with normal desirable patination to the leather. Mint condition would be boring, in my opinion.
Klismos chairs are my favorites--the form dates back over 2000 years to Ancient Greece and Egypt. Several years ago I wrote an extensive post on Klismos chairs--I don't know how to add a link to that post. Maybe I will have figured that out by tomorrow?! 
It's getting late and I need to be  up bright and early to work with my upholsterer.

Sending Blessing,
Mary & Jones & Cole

No comments:

Post a Comment