Thursday, December 28, 2017

MAYAN




For the past two days our kitchen and family room floor has been undergoing a complete redo. Today, the initial workman was accompanied by a second man. As I listened to them this morning, I was puzzled. Both the initial and second workmen were obviously Hispanic and I had been speaking with them in Spanish; when they spoke to each other, they were not speaking Spanish. The language was soft and beautiful and definitely tonal. I spoke to them and asked where they were from. It turns out that they were from Yucatan. (Although I was raised in Mexico, I have never been to Yucatan) and were speaking Maya. I was truly humbled, although I speak (poorly) a couple of other languages and am bi-lingual in Spanish, these men were truly trilingual moving easily between English and Spanish and Mayan. Mayan was, by far, the most melodious and beautiful of the three.


The Mayan civilization of Southern Mexico and Guatemala reached its peak around AD 800-900, with its astounding scientific knowledge and city states fading into the tropical rainforests shortly after 900. Yet, 1300 years later these men were speaking Mayan in my home. 
(Don't know how to link sites, etc.--I know I'm technologically very challenged.)
Anyway, I went to trusty Wiki and U-tube and discovered the most hauntingly beautiful Mayan music. If you have a moment, it's worth the time to listen to some Mayan music to close out 2017 and bring in a more mindful, loving and just 2018.




No comments:

Post a Comment