Monday, May 7, 2018

A TRUE DISCOVERY (GIFT)

I know that I have explained my relationship to this crazy business numerous times, but here I go again: Everything that I find and/or buy is a gift and an adventure. Yes, I know a lot about many different kinds of "stuff", i.e., I'm prepared, I also know that everything is a gift.
This desk is one of those gifts and, if I'm correct, a big one.

FRONT


BACK


SIDES




I have a lot of research to do on this guy. I believe that it dates to around 1835-40. It's English in form, but the secondary wood is pine which would indicate that the desk is American. The drawer bottoms are chamfered, which would also indicate an American origin. However, the Japanning (chinoiserie decoration) appears to be English. Whatever its origins, the desk is very rare. The condition of the Japanned surface is exceptional--the gold leaf is newer--most of the painting is intact and very interesting with numerous animal and plant depictions. The sides feature a shi-shi or foo dog on one side and a dog with tree and chinoiserie fence on the other.
The top surface retains its original leather writing surface surrounded by a detailed chinoiserie border.


I be posting more about the desk in the coming weeks as I unravel more of its secrets....I do know that several individuals loved this desk as its condition is exceptional.

Blessings for the week!!!

Mary & Jones & Cole




No comments:

Post a Comment