Monday, September 17, 2018

BACK TO THE HUNT--My Addiction: Chairs

Moving on from The Deco Consoles.
G. was shopping at the Long Beach Swap Meet this morning.......he sent me this photo of a bronze fountain that caught his eye. I took a quick look and immediately thought: "what about those chairs?"



(The fountain is probably late 20th c. copy and perhaps Mexican--good, but not great). But those chairs.....Italian/Venetian ribbon back dining chairs with a patinated painted surface.......G. is not addicted to chairs like I am. When G. inquired about the chairs, guess what? There were 8 of them: 2  w/arms and 6 side chairs. Sets of 8 chairs are super desirable. These chairs are not an "in" LA design object-of-desire--but they definitely are in the South and especially Texas.
I love old painted surfaces--original patination so that the soul of the piece is exposed. And this set has super patination. I wouldn't choose this particular upholstery fabric, but it's a good neutral and in super condition. Of course, the chairs went home with Gerry.....
Here's another photo--it's pretty early in the morning, which is when you still have some bargains left at the swap meet.


I love them and they will be perfect with my period c. 1810-20 Louis XVI walnut dining table. I love  mixing unmatched styles--as long as the quality and decorative value of the pieces is equal and balanced, it all comes together.



Here are a couple of example of similar chairs that I found in 1stdibs



The set of 6 chairs is a bit older than the chairs we bought, but quite similar in form.
I'll post detail photos of the chairs when they get to shop.

Sending blessing for the last week of summer...hopefully we'll get a bit of autumn weather in the next couple of weeks. Can't wait!!

Mary & Jones & Cole

3 comments:

  1. Oh Mary, the hunt is what it's all about, whether it's gorgeous antiques or the meaning of breathing and walking on this earth. I recently found a perfect French, gold-gilded settee that I've been looking for for years. Thank you as well, for coming to my blog post. I just felt like spilling out the admiration I have for beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read many blogs but this blog is very informative and wonderful. Your way of working is very great and cool. I am really impressed. Coming on hot game sims 4 cheats and choose a type of house for your sims

    ReplyDelete