Thursday, July 18, 2019

MID-CENTURY ITALIAN BEADED SCONCES..........(It Pays To Look Carefully)

I have faithfully subscribed to the principles of "Blink" (by Malcolm Gladwell) for at least 8-10 years. But sometimes the Principle of First Impressions does not apply.  Case in point:


Just a few weeks ago this is how 2.5 pairs of extraordinary mid-century beaded Italian sconces were displayed at My Favorite Auction. Not very impressive--the only details that drew my focus were the hanging and loose crystal pendants and swags of macaroni beads. Applying the Principle of First Impressions, I would have walked right passed this treasure trove. Fortunately, I have had this type of beaded sconces before and I know how to restring/reposition the macaroni swags. (I also know some one who loves to do this pains-taking work). Our last set of 48" beaded sconces like (just one of these pairs) was quite pricey--Gerry and I paid close to $1500 for one pair.
AND HERE WERE TWO PAIRS--one at 48" long and the other at 33" long. Additionally, there was a small single sconce thrown in for good measure........we managed to steel them simply because no one bothered to see beyond that first impression. Jean Michael has been working on the sconces and he is almost done. I did have to order a few extra pendants, but for the most part, all the original elements were present.
Here are a few shots of the work in progress.......








As you can see, the little single sconce still has some work left to be done--had to take a break as we need some additional 1.5" pendants for this little guy.
And then, last week, Gerry was at auction early and up came another pair of beaded sconces. Once again, no one was paying attention to them when they went to the block and Gerry bought them for a song. Jean Michael cleaned this pair today and I supplied the secret sauce: when I first caught sight of this pair, I thought: add some rock crystal pendants. And I had just the right size rock crystal pendants from another project--but I have moved since that last time I saw the pendants and was fearful that I would not be able to find them. Mais...voila! The rock crystal pendants were in the bottom drawer of a little chest and they are just the perfect size.
Here are the photos of this pair as Jean Michael had just barely finished working on them...........




This pair of sconces feature either French or Italian Louis XV-style brass sconces outlined in small hand-cut faceted beads with the center detailed in graduated hand-cut faceted beading, topped with fanciful sprigs of rock crystal pendants. Not too shabby!!! And I am filled with gratitude.

Hopefully, I'm over the hump with my blogging break.
Wish us luck tomorrow as there are some sleepers (hopefully) coming up.

Blessings,
Mary & Cole








No comments:

Post a Comment