Thursday, July 18, 2013

MURANO LAMPS--SOMMERSO, BULLICANTE PLUS GOLD FLECKS

I just pulled this photo of a new Murano Sommerso lamp by Seguso from this month's Architectural Digest.  (Please forgive the image--my scanner isn't scanning....) 
 

There is no doubt that this is a gorgeous lamp, designed with a 21st century color. But is this really a new design?
Here is a gorgeous pair of c. 1950-60's murano sommerso bookends by Barbini. The shape is more elongated, but still there is a huge resemblance.
 


The next image is of a c. 1960's Sommerso vase by Cenedese. Could the form and porportions of the the sommerso be any closer to that of the "new" Seguso lamp?  Don't think so. Of course, Seguso had to invert the sommerso and drill through the glass (not that easy).


Now, we are getting to the meat of what caught my attention! Just take a look at the next sommerso lamps:


  

These lamps were created with gorgeous c. 1950's Barbini(?) sommerso, bullicante and gold flecked murano bookends. The bullicante detailing is a delicate process and the gold flecks are emblematic of mid-century Murano glass making.  Yep, they are my designs........ I designed them and had Carlos fabricate the 3" custom lucite bases and electrical fittings.  The sommerso glass elements measure approximately 5". They are paired with gorgeous black shades lined in gold foil (the total height of the lamps is about 20"). The next photo gives a hint of what happens when the light from the lamp passes through the glass and then is broadcast by the lucite--in reality, it looks like an explosion of light passing through the lucite.


And of course, the real kicker is that I designed these guys way before Seguso came up with their idea of recreating mid-century Murano sommerso bookends to turn into lamps....I'll take the compliments any way they come. I'm so happy that current design is finally catching up with me.  By the way, I still have the lamps in inventory.......

My Mia is having surgery again on Thursday at St. Jude's Children's Hospital in Tennessee........my heart is hurting. But I know that all will be well.

Mary & Jones (and Cole)

4 comments:

  1. Dear Mary,
    Your design is gorgeous beyond and you are quite the trendsetter!! The other pieces, especially the cobalt blue, love.

    I will be praying for you and your family as Mia goes through her surgery.

    xoxo
    Karena
    2013 Designer Series

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karena, Thank you. Yes, we do need prayers for Mia and her Mom who are going through this round of surgery without all of us supporting them.
      xoxox
      Mary

      Delete
  2. Hi, Mary -

    First of all, continued prayers for little Mia and all of you! So the surgery is a week from today? Please keep us posted when you can.

    Those lamps are fantastic, Mary. Such a clever design of yours. I bet they are even more dazzling in person. And I can see the pair on a chic console.

    Take care,
    Loi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Loi, Thanks for all of your prayers. No surgery was either today or tomorrow. I'm waiting to get word that everything went well. They are so far away. But my sweet daughter-in-law is gaining strength and faith with every passing day--such a journey. xoxoxo
      Mary

      Delete