Monday, April 7, 2014

MY SCANNER WORKS--YEPPEE!!!!!

I've spent many hours attempting to get the scanner on my new HP printer to work--no go. But last night, I was determined to figure the darn thing out. Eureka--it works; so forgive me if I go a little crazy......

After buying my third daybed destined for storage (they don't seem to be selling very well at the moment...I love them as much as chairs.....) I started worrrying. It's not simply the cost of purchasing the piece, but you have to calculate the cost to restore these old pieces. So I thought I'd check the April shelters to see if daybeds are on their way back in......yep, they are--at least on the East Coast, which means that within about a year they'll hit here in LA.
There are at least three featured in Furlow Gatewood's new book "One Man's Folly (I haven't received my copy yet) plus many other gorgeous beds...

A few pages into Elle Decor, up popped this sweet late French Empire solid mahogany "Lit Bateau"--I've sold a couple of these in the past--they aren't true daybeds, but those on the "other side of the Atlantic" many times refer to this style as a daybed......and I just sold a 19th c. campaign trunk very similar to the one featured here....(my spirits were begining to lift).
  

I kept flipping pages until I came to this beauty in the home of Frederico de Vera (ED)


This beautiful emerald green daybed is one of my favorite styles--an understated Louis XVI, with simplified minimal carving and ormolu displayed only as rosettes at the scroll ends of the foot and head boards. This particular style is very hard to find and so elegant.


The little beauty shown above is also from the home of Federico de Vera. This Period French Empire (1810-15) bed/daybed appears to be child sized, but it is a true beauty featuring the characteristic flamed mahogany and ormolu mounted columns.
Furlow Gatewood also displays a Period Empire day in "One Man's Folly" 
  

This particular bed appears to be larger and not quite as old as the de Vera bed, notice that it lacks the fine ormolu detailing to the columns and the darkness of the mahogany leads me to believe that it dates to c.1820-30 (?)
And now.......here's my guy (in storage)




The figuring of the mahogany is top notch, as is the original ormolu. He is coming out of storage and into the shop this week. I usually have to invest major money and effort into restorations--but this one showed up in excellent restored (perhaps original condition).
You can just catch a glimpse of the gorgeous English Regency daybed in Furlow Gatewood's dining room (I've sold a couple of these examples)
  

Several years ago, I purchased a daybed very similar to this guy which is featured on the cover of Phoebe Howard's book--just look at the luscious upholstery and pillows on her bed.


I'm not sure if this particular bed is French or American--most probably American. My example, now also in storage and coming out this week, is a bit more elegant than this example, crafted in mahogany and with a glorious unique double finial at each corner. For at least a year (or more) I thought the daybed was American, until I discovered a French provincial example dating to c. 1840-50 that was almost identical to mine. I love this casual style of daybed--it can fit just about anywhere, depending upon the upholstery.
I wish that I had taken a photo or two of the little Biedermeier/French bois clair (early French Restoration) daybed that is my newest acquisition, but I did take a photo of the ormolu rosette at one corner


This guy should be back next week---unfortunately, the rosette on the opposite corner was lost somewhere in the daybed's travels; so I have been on an internet quest to find a matching pair of rosettes and also the simple period brass escutcheons for the abattant. And I found both items this morning--the escutcheons are on their way from England and the Rosettes are on their way from Paris. I LOVE THE INTERNET.
Moving on....... This modern daybed (AD) is from the San Francisco home of Ken Fulk--it is truly beautiful with simple modern lines that dovetail perfectly with the architecture.
  

And the chettah (??) fabric works fabulously.

And here is one last daybed/bench (AD)... a Swedish bed in the kitchen area--I love this!! Now I know someone will buy my daybeds, please.


I'm feeling much better...
I could go on and on about antique French beds/daybeds...I bought my first one many, many years ago when we lived in Bilbao, Spain and I was several months' pregnant scouring the seaside villages for a lit bateau for my oldest son's room. That was many adventures rolled into a bed.  It turned out that the bed was riddled with woodworm--and if he gets cancer now because of the chemicals that were infused into the wood to kill the bugs, don't blame me (I'm wiser now). I bought an early c. 1820 French iron bed in southern Spain for my daughter--this was my absolute favorite bed. The bed featured in Furlow Gatewood's book (below) somewhat reminds me of my daughter's bed.


And right now I sleep (and Jones & The Cats) on a c. 1860-70 French rosewood bed. Of course, when you buy an old French bed, there aren't any standard mattresses--everything is custom made.......Oh, well--I'm not giving up on my antique beds just yet.

Wishing ya'll a wonderful week--and glorious spring weather (it's going to be beastly hot here--and then it'll cool down).
Be well.
Mary & Jones & Cole 











  

2 comments:

  1. Dear Mary, Bravo! My printer has given out and ao I need one with a good scanner!
    I adore daybeds, absolutely and have pinned many of these on my Furnishing Finds Fabulous Pinterest Board! Thank you..
    xoxo
    Karena
    The Arts by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karena,
    THANK YOU. For some reason, I can't pin from my website...I'm updating my site with my tech person at the moment; so maybe he can figure that out. Sending love for a wonderful day.
    xoxo Mary

    ReplyDelete