Wednesday, April 2, 2014

WORDS AND PHOTOS

Words and photos could never describe the beauty of this morning. For two nights in a row we have had night rain. Not a heavy rain, but a light gentle rain that cleans the air and the soul. Waking up (and letting the "animales" out) my heart is filled with the freshness and beauty of the clear sapphire sky and crispness of the air. California is not famous for clear, crisp, clean smelling air; so I am engravings these jewel-like mornings in my memory for when the mornings are hot and kind of yucky with the dense marine layer of June or oppressive heat of August and September. I am grateful for the day.

I like inventing new takes on old recipes. I had never really liked meat loaf until I started making it "my way" a couple of years ago.....

Mary's Meat Loaf
1.5 lbs ground turkey
1 lb. very lean ground beef (I have the butcher grind it especially for me from round steak)
3/4 lb. bulk hot Italian sausage (or 1/2 sweet)
1/2 large red pepper very finely chopped
1/2 yellow onion very finely chopped
2-4 stalks organic celery very finely chopped
1/2 c. Italian parsley very finely chopped
1 large clove garlic minced
1/4 to 1/2 tsp. fennel seeds
1/4 to 1/2 tsp. rosemary
3 eggs
2-3 tbls. soy sauce
2-3 tbls. balsamic venegar
Panko bread crumbs-enough to hold loaf together

Mix everything up with HANDS. Form into three equal loaves (cooks faster) place in large glass pan.
Put in 425* oven and reduce heat to 375* for about an hour or until done.
This meat loaf is quite light--not the ususal heavy consistency. You can serve it with any type of sauce--I like it as is--good with Green Taco Sauce, too.
I serve it with mashed sweet potatoes (not yams!) with just enough butter to make them yummy. And a salad........Healthy and tasty.

Be well--enjoy our spring.

Mary & Jones & Coel










2 comments:

  1. Mary we are having rain as well...April showers!
    Your recipe sounds delish and I will try it soon!

    xoxo
    Karena
    2014 Artists Series

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karena, Oh Spring! I love it.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete