Friday, August 15, 2014

ADVENTURES IN LOCKDOM---WITH CARLOS



I love Muriel Brandolini's work--always deep, multi-cultural, textured and full of color. As shown on the cover of her book, Brandolini does period-inspired rooms exceedingly well. So I photographed the lock & key positioned on her photos as my little abattant might just work in a Brandolini room--the position is just a tad bit tongue-in-cheek.
Carlos was so sweet to stop what he was doing (and he is in demand) to see if he could make me a key for the lock that I brought in
  



First off, Carlos noticed that this lock had been tampered with.......Carlos: "Is the other lock on the doors also broken?"  Me: "Yes, it is also broken." Carlos: .....(after a very long pause) "I think there must be something of value in the abattant, but the thieves (?) couldn't open the fall front."
HIDDEN TREASURE!!!!!!!!?????????? Boy could I use a cool million or two just popped into my head.
But first making the key..........turns out these 18th c. locks are a bit more fussy than I had envisioned. (18th c. locks are made entirely by hand and the creator could add little tricks/traps to the lock, if he desired.)
But Carlos got to work and in a matter of a few minutes he created a new key (using an old 18th c. key) by drilling and filing and then drilling and filing a second time.
  




Of course, the KEY question remains: WILL THIS NEW KEY ALSO OPEN THE FALL FRONT OF THE ABATTANT?
(And reveal the hidden treasure inside--I'll give Carlos some after I count it all in my treasure house.......)


One final note: If the key doesn't work, I will have to hire two guys to load the abattant into the Explorer and take the ________ over to Carlos. At that point he will try to very carefully jack open the fall front millimeter by millimeter to the point where the latch simply slides by. Of course, the KEY ADVENTURE may cost me more than the abattant.             Howard, are you listening? This is all your fault.

Please: prayers that the key slips in smoothly and opens the fall front to reveal my HIDDEN TREASURE.

Have a wonderful summer week-end. Home made Blueberry pie with home made ice cream......Anyone?

Be well.
Mary & Jones & Cole



No comments:

Post a Comment