Monday, September 15, 2014

SERENDIPITOUS

I love serendipitous occurrences--times in life when I am definitely in the flow, in the moment when connections happen and life is full of blessings.
Several weeks ago I encouraged a friend of mine to buy an amazing table at "My Weekly Thursday Addiction"--Oliver is a good "auction Thursday" friend who wanted my advice regarding purchasing the table for his home. He bought the table (very pricey), but it didn't work for the scale of his dining room. So......Roberto (& crew) brought the table to the shop on Saturday morning. Before positioning the table, I had Roberto turn it up-side-down and took photos. Both Oliver and I had thought that the table dated to perhaps the 1970's; the auction house had it identified as "composition/gold painted".  When Roberto and I saw the underside of the table, we knew that it was period Art Deco; it was carved wood; gessoed; and completely covered--every nook and cranny-- in gold leaf. In other words, a great table turned into a unique AMAZING table.
Here is a teaser--just one leg to give you an idea of what the surface is like. 


We haven't identified the artist who created this piece; so I won't show full frontal photos of the table until Oliver decides what he wants to do. Stealth in this trade is of the utmost importance. I have a feeling that the table will be going to a major East Coast auction house--we'll see.

Update: The lanterns are Copper!! Which makes me almost as happy as the discovery of the table. Being present helps.

Still in the 100's here; should cool down by the end of the week.....Rain in October?!

Have a great week. Jones and I are off THE PARK.

Mary & Jones & Cole


2 comments:

  1. Mary I adore hearing stories like this! So excited to see the rest of this amazing find, what Oliver decides to do with the table; the lanterns, another bonus bit of serendipity!

    xoxo
    Karena
    The Arts by Karena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karena, Yes, I love these connections and moments of grace.
      soso Mary

      Delete