Saturday, September 20, 2014

NEW FORTUNY PILLOWS


I just added this pair of "Striped Lambale" vintage Fortuny Pillows to my inventory. This Fortuny fabric dates to 1954, just a few years after the death of Mariano Fortuny. It is an uncommon pattern--I love the two shades of gray on the ivory white background. The squirrel makes me laugh. These are quite generous pillows--I hope some one needs Fortuny with a chuckle.


And this is a pair of "Farnese Frieze"--this particular Fortuny was dated 1961 on the selvage. The mottled turquoise on gold color way is always a quick seller. Pam always does a spectacular job and I'm so grateful to have found her. I'll share her: Pam at finedetailsinc.com for the best pillows and custom linen embroidery. Hint: Ralph Lauren refers her to many of its clients. She also has many top designer clients.

Here is a double surprise present:


  


I bought this pair of lanterns a couple of weeks ago. I was standing about 60 feet from the auction block when I glimpsed this pair of lanterns being held up--no glass, just some beaten up looking frames.  But a little bell went off in my head--I though they might be chinoiserie--so I bought them sight unseen. When I picked them up, I was startled. Why didn't anyone else bid? It was immediately obvious that they were pretty great, even if they did need a bit of TLC.
Today I picked them up from my glass place (have been using Bouret's Glass for many, many years) and I discovered that they put in seeded glass panels (seeded glass is very expensive) as they just happened to have some left over from another installation, at no extra charge!  DOUBLE PRESENTS. Of course, Chinoiserie anything is one of my passions; neoclassical design is what I gravitate to.
These lanterns are English Regency-style (note the Prince of Wales feathers) tole lanterns of chinoiserie form (c. 1890-1910). To have a matched pair is quite uncommon. One of the lanterns needs to go to Carlos for a bit more minor restoration, but that is to be expected of lanterns of this age and use. 
Thanks for listening to my ramblings.
The temps. have dropped by almost 20 points and I am basking in the coolness. It's going to heat up again, but not quite so much.
Well, I'm off to bed with Jones,
Blessing for a perfect start to FALL in all of its glory.

Mary & Jones & Cole

No comments:

Post a Comment