Monday, June 6, 2016

CHESTS OF DRAWERS ARE HOT, HOT, HOT

Chests of drawers are a hot ticket right now. I've sold 3 chests of drawers this month and could have sold this one


three times in two days. So I'm on the hunt for chests. And I'm fussy. They have to have just the right look--perhaps a little edgy, James Bond(y) and neoclassical. Two weeks ago I bought the Robsjohn-Gibbings chest--which will be great when it gets its very pricey spa treatment (read: profit margin will suffer a lot). What I need is a chest or two that will average out the profit issues.
I previewed Thursday's auction today as Wednesday is jammed full and look at what is coming up




This is one of a pair of Henredon chests that dates to the 1960's--within my time frame; the size is great for bedside cabinets and the quality and condition is also top notch. Usually I would jump like crazy over a pair of chests like this, but there is one detail holding me back: they are a cerused off-white. I'm not an off-white, south Florida style buyer. But I do love the cerused finish, if only they were cerused black.... 
Well, Mary, get over it. Time to leave the comfort zone in the dust. I almost bought the tackiest pair of white lacquered and gold detailed wing chairs with their original 60's black velvet upholstery that still retained their tacked-in-place plastic protectors.
Those chests are mine!

Wish me luck.

Mary & Jones & Cole


No comments:

Post a Comment