Tuesday, August 9, 2016

LITTLE GEM--PURE AMERICANA


Last week was one of amazing gifts. The Tuscan Baroque consoles were one of those gifts, but the little table shown above is another.
In fact, this beautiful table may surpass the Tuscan consoles in desirability and rareness (is that a word?). When the table came to the block, the auctioneer announced that it was a "cut-down antique table" or coffee table. I hadn't seen it during preview the day before, but just glancing at it I knew that it hadn't been cut-down. The legs and their period turnings were perfectly proportioned as were the drop leaves


I didn't know the condition of the table, but felt it was worth the gamble as I knew it was a highly desirable American Child's Table--Late Federal/ Early Sheraton Period (c.1825-35). When I picked up the table on Friday, I was astonished: the little table was in near mint condition and appeared to be 100% original--the underside being as beautiful as the top. As I have studied the table a bit, I'm struck by the fact that the cabinetmaker used a beautifully figured (and much more costly) maple to fabricate the table, the figuring is of the highest level.


No expense was spared--and this care seems to have protected this little jewel over its nearly 200 years of life. I feel honored to be watching over this special table....I'd love to give it to my little granddaughters, but I do not think it would remain in this condition for very long--they are rough little soccer players.
So hopefully, the table will go to a new home quickly and I won't be tempted to take her home with me.

We've been enjoying a break from the heat--gorgeous southern California weather.

Blessing for the week.

Mary & Jones & Cole

No comments:

Post a Comment