Wednesday, November 1, 2017

SUPERB ENGLISH REGENCY WRITING TABLE

The weeks leading up to last Thursday had been slim pickings--everything was either too pricey or just not quite what I was looking for........but last Thursday seemed to be shaping up to being just my kind of day..........
The day didn't start out auspiciously: Jones and Cole love rawhide bones....so they get one or two every day. I know that these bones aren't really good for dogs, especially dogs with long necks (like Jones). Anyway, the boys got their morning bones and everything seemed fine and dandy until Jones started choking on his bone. I tried everything to dislodge the bone, but nothing seemed to work. I was sure that instead of going to auction, Jones and I would be going to the vet. Fortunately, Dao tried the Heimlich maneuver one more time and about 2.5 inches of bone popped out. Needless to say, Jones no longer gets bones and his Mom is super grateful to still have a breathing dog.
And off I went to auction.
First came this amazing pair of mid-century Mexican brass andirons.




(I put them in shop on Saturday morning and they were sold to another dealer by 3 pm--that never happens to me)
Next up was this great pair of painted 19th c. French Louis XV fauteuils


(I'm not crazy about the upholstery--but its a minor upholstery job as the insides are good) The patina is amazing and I love the color.
Now, we're getting to the good stuff:



I love works on paper--this 19th c. French Pencil drawing pulled me in. The lower photo is of the monogram signature--which I still need to research. Best of all, the framing is very good--usually I need to frame art work (a very pricey and time consuming endeavor).
I even bought a Thomasville mid-century bedroom suite--the tall dresser is for Ethan (grandson)--the long dresser would make a superb credenza and night stand are always in demand. I love the carved arches on this suite and the bleached burl wood is handsome.
NOW FOR THE PIECE DE RESISTANCE (Drum Roll Please) It may not look like it at first glance, but once the details are highlighted, I think you'll agree that this is an outstanding Period English Regency Mahogany Writing Table.








This  c. 1810 Writing Table is double-sided with two functional drawers on the opposite side, all original lock and hardware, KEYS!, elegant proportions, recessed rollers within toe caps, beautiful outset corners enhanced with hexagonal corners, the table has been refinished by appropriately. Of course the green leather top is a replacement, but it is appropriate and look at how the leather extends into the outset corner. So many bells and whistles are present that I just keep smiling at her.
I love great pieces of period furniture and this table is amazing....it's probably going to Sotheby's or Christie (note to self--- contact Sothebys tomorrow).
Well, it's late and I need to get to bed.

Blessing for the day and prayers for the Tragedy in New York...

Mary & Jones & Cole







No comments:

Post a Comment