Saturday, April 14, 2018

EVOLVING (REVOLVING) DESIGN AESTHETICS


I really, really, really relished the thought of acquiring this chunky early Georgian burled walnut chest last Thursday. I was pretty sure that I would be able to buy as the price point at auction for this type of chest has been quite low. But he was not destined to come home with me as the chest sold for 3 times what I had anticipated......
Three years ago I felt inspired to return to my first love: period 18th and early 19th c. furniture and so I started acquiring period pieces at very good price points. They have not been quick sellers, but in the last year or so I have sold most of the period pieces that I had been acquiring: Five 18th/19th c. French Secretaire a Abattant (and that is a lot for me)! Five 18th/19th c. Chinese Altar Tables. Many period trunks and small chests and several sets of period chairs, etc. Most of the period pieces either stay here in Los Angeles (mainly Pasadena designers) or they are shipped to the East Coast (mainly New York). I am so excited to witness this return to a richer aesthetic where furniture is allowed to act as pieces of sculpture.
Of course, there is always that yin/yang interplay: I think I'm going to have to work a little harder at acquiring new pieces. I love everything that the little chest above represents: tremendous character and strength; beautiful detail==the burled veneer, inlay and original hardware; and the wonderful rich patina, not to mention its versatile size and form that could be incorporated into almost any style of design. The drawer sides and bottoms on this little chest had extensive reworking and the hammer price, surprisingly, did not reflect this potentially big negative.
I did buy three pieces of Steuben mid-century art glass--but Steuben is still a hard sell (I just love its purity of form and clarity of glass)



These three pieces came from the Keck family estate and have retained their original cotton carrying bags. No smudges or finger prints for these guys. 
I love California winters--not too cold and I can wear cashmere all the time w/o a coat--however, I think this coming week will bring an end to cashmere weather for this year.
April is usually one of my worst months, but this year business has been great and I'm so grateful!!
Must get off to bed--Jones says "Hi"......

Blessings for the week,
Mary & Jones & Cole                                                                                                    

No comments:

Post a Comment