Sunday, April 1, 2018

LIGHTENING UP---A Little More



HAPPY EASTER


I have been joining the many Oprah/Deepak Chopra 21-Day Series "mini-retreats" ever since their inception about 4 years ago. My journey has become so much lighter over the past 4 years and I know that is partly due to the many Oprah/Deepak "mini-retreats" and to a commitment to my wholeness (and Boy! has it been a journey). The current 21-day Meditation is appropriately about "Lightening Up" (living in the moment and healing)....even though the first week completes today, I recommend checking it out. (You can catch up on 5 days which is almost from the beginning)

Auction Preview (down to business)




When I walked into the Auction House on Wednesday (you can see the entrance in top photo), the first item that I saw (and I was blinded to anything else) was this stupendous mid-19th century style Louis XVI-style dining table. (The form is like my own dining table that I had purchased when we lived in Spain.) This one was perfect for me as it collapses into a 48" round drop-leaf table (shop is space challenged)--BUT when fully open, reaches 96 inches. (An additional 24" leaf could be added for a total of 120 inches.) 
My Japanese Sendai Tansu left for Connecticut on Wednesday and I left the space open for my (hopefully) new table--energetic pull.


So, remembering my commitment of the last post: "to fearlessly step up my game" I decided that come-what-may, I was going to get that table.
The next morning I was at the auction bright and early to bid on a couple of items that went too high. I knew it would be a very long day (my first week back after almost six weeks out with that damn pneumonia) and I needed to be careful. The auction dragged on-and-on-and-on.......still the table was a long way off. I had also been waiting to bid on a lot of four Staffordshire 19th c. lions--they sat on a cart waiting to go to the block for over an hour (which meant that I had to stay focused or there was a very good chance that the lions would slip past if I lost my concentration). I finally bought the lions......


Three PM came and went and still THE TABLE had not come to the block...I didn't want to request that the table be brought up because the "Heavy Hitters with tons of $$$ were all there and I didn't want to draw  attention to the table. About 3:15 I asked the auction house owner about the table (I knew that Don was probably pretty tired) and he said that he wanted to "do" it next week.........that was fine because in this game of poker, the chances were good that it would go for less $$$ and the Heavy Hitters would be on to something else.  I went home and started thinking about my intention to "fearlessly step up my game" and decided to call Don in the morning and make him a good respectable offer on the table.
I spoke with Don on Friday morning and made him a good offer, which Don said was very fair. He first needed to check with person who obtained the consignment before giving me the OK. Don came back on the line and said that they were giving me the table for $300 LESS than my offer........I was speechless. And then I asked: is this gift because I got better and am back? (I've been a faithful client for 25 years) and Don replied "Yep- Welcome Back." I've been on a high for the past 3 days. Grateful to have such good friends and grateful to have honored my commitment to myself to be more fearless. And here is My Table in shop and looking very pretty (perfect fit).





Here are photos of a very comparable table on 1stdibs which is priced at $12500




Not too shabby. My table will not have that price point, but my profit margin will be just about where I want it to be. 
I did buy a couple of other items-- A signed & numbered Vasarely Lithograph (photo taken lying down on cart on way to Explorer)


And a pair of Hollywood Regency benches (1950s? or earlier) Roberto will spiff them up and shine the lacquer to a gloss--I love the vintage silk strie velvet upholstery that is in superb condition.


Well, I think it's time to climb back into bed. 
Have a wonderful day with family and friends celebrating the blessings of Spring, Easter and the freshness of life.

Mary & Jones & Cole


No comments:

Post a Comment