Monday, August 13, 2018

SPANISH COLONIAL "NICHO" or NICHE SANTO


Last week G and I bought an stunning Spanish Colonial Processional altar crucifix. I believe this beautiful piece is 18th c. Mexican, but it could be Peruvian, Ecuadorian or even Brazilian. The nicho or altar measures a full 25 inches in height. The truly exceptional factor is that the nicho has not had any restorations and has survived intact for over 200 years. Of course there are minor losses, especially to the painted surface, but this is normal for nichos of this age and its frequent use in religious rites over its long life span.
I'm adding several detail photos of the Santo. I'm truly ambivalent about selling this beautiful object--my being strongly reliant on my faith and having been raised in Mexico and having spent many years in Spain has a lot to do with this ambivalence. And I think its beautiful.







Sending blessing for the coming week--thanks for visiting.
(Jones needs prayers for his back--chiropractor visit today)

Mary & Jones & Cole

No comments:

Post a Comment