Monday, July 27, 2020

CHAIRS, CHAIRS and MORE CHAIRS and DROP FRONT SECRETAIRES


Darren took me to an estate sales yesterday........I went to look at some French 18th century engravings of monkeys......but look what I brought home. (Sorry about quality of the photo--it was taken at the sale and I had to erase some one's Ipad from seat and water bottle from floor) The minute I saw the chair, I knew that it was a great one--the highly carved splat, great klismos form, flamed mahogany and carved legs were making it sing. But I wasn't quite sure of its origin. After I got home, I started researching the chair----it's Danish and of an exceptional form. All it needs is for Lalo to reupholster the slip seat--and I think I will have just enough Clarence House Blue velvet left for the seat. Here's another shot of the chair that shows the elegant klismos back sweep. It's pretty handsome.


I scored on the chair...but I think I over paid for this gorgeous American Butler's or Secretaire chest.











I think that I was swept away by the beauty of this chest.....and it is gorgeous. Plus I am a bit rusty regarding the important details of American furniture. I will be replacing the inappropriate hardware and the leather writing surface on the fall front. Additionally, the chest has been refinished--which would not be such a negative for an English piece--on American furniture the original patinated surface is what collectors look for. But its beautiful flamed mahogany veneer and inlay detailing, combined with the simplicity of the interior fittings, bring its status way up. The French feet and scrolled front also bring it up a notch. 
I think I'm just about done buying secretaire chests: I have the Gustavian chest c.1790-1800....



...
And the George I/II secretaire chest c.1725-30...



Of course, if a great French Abattant or Italian..maybe a mid-19th century faux bamboo drop front like this one that sold a while ago



Or maybe a French late Louis XVI Abattant like this guy that I sold a few years ago........


Anyway, I'm happy with what God has given me.

Sending blessings for the week...99 days and counting...............

Mary


No comments:

Post a Comment