Sunday, November 11, 2012

UPDATES+++SERENDIPITY STRIKES (Blessings In Disguise)


I purchased this great lamp created with a Famille Verte Chinese vase from another dealer here at the Pasadena Antique Center. It was a little forlorn--needed a good cleaning and the electrical fittings were dangling. So I sent her off ASAP to Lupe (great lamp/electrical guy who even picks up and delivers) and Lupe returned the lamp on Tuesday. With all of the work done. 
On Wednesday, while I was talking with Steve (also a dealer at The Center who specializes in Asian Antiques), I noticed that the lamp was crooked. I couldn't believe it---Lupe had just returned her!!! (My language was a bit stronger)  I walked over to the lamp and picked her up and then I became really incensed: some one--we have many spotters from China who only buy Chinese porcelain--had taken the entire lamp apart; separated it from the carved rosewood stand; unscrewed the wiring and lost the nut that holds the lamp and electrical fittings together....I was pretty PI____D.  But all at once, both Steve and I looked at each other and said in one breath: it's older!!! I had thought that the lamp was c. 1940-1960, but since we could now see the bottom, we knew that vase dated to c. 1880-1890. That is a huge difference in value. Yes, the vase is drilled, but antique Chinese porcelain vases of this size (about 18 inches) are getting much more difficult to find; the drill hole has become less significant in determining value.
The coloration of this particular vase is spectacular--it is a pure apple green background with a translucent glaze. The detailed Famille Rose painting is a bit rough, which is typical of Chinese porcelains of this time period. If the vase were older, the painting would be more refined.




I removed the electrical fittings (they will work for another lamp); cleaned off the putty that had been used to cement the vase to the rosewood base; and raised the price a few hundred.

You just never know the amazing gifts that will tumble into your lap. And I'm grateful. I love Chinese (all Asian) porcelains. Perhaps I will keep this vase.......I love the color and the Chinese symbols depicted on the body.


Have a super Sunday. Jones had his hair done yesterday and he is so handsome!!!  
Everyone is coming for dinner today to celebrate Lauren's sixth birthday---first time viewing the two-seater. So will have 11 for dinner and I need to get to the shop for a while. I'm almost ready.
Be well.

Mary and Jones (& Cole)

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like someone was trying to date the lamp. Were they not able to do so, or did they admire it & then just decide against it? Hmm...I guess we'll never know! It's such a beautiful lamp. And since you love it (as do I), maybe you should keep it.

    Karen T.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen, Yes, they were trying to date it, but taking something apart without permission is completely unacceptable. A truly knowledgeable person would have been able to gage the age by inspecting the glaze and the refinement of the painted detail. The Chinese buyer is looking for 18th c. porcelain, and this vase is clearly not at that level of refinement. Sending blessings for a fantastic week.
      Mary

      Delete
  2. I need to send you an image of a lamp that I have which I love. My husband and I bought it years ago. Chinese Porcelain with a similar base but the colors and shape and painting I adore.
    Enjoy getting everything done and hope the dinner for 11 was a huge success.
    pve

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Patricia,
      Please send me photos of the lamp. I love Chinese Export. Dinner was a complete success: all of the cousins from 14 to 2 played together as one. So cut--I'm so grateful. Now it's on to Thanksgiving!!
      xoxo
      Mary

      Delete
  3. I love finding surprises like this, Mary! You did well....congrats! There are a lot of Chinese antiques in the DC area. And also reproductions. I need to educate myself better on Chinese porcelain....especially export as I really love them.
    Take care,
    Loi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Loi,
      Yes, this was a great surprise. It has gotten so difficult to distinguish old Chinese porcelain from the new very top quality porcelains--I have to think twice and really study a piece before buying--it used to be that I could simply buy an antique piece trusting that it was not a great copy, but not any more.
      Have a wonderful Sunday.
      Mary

      Delete