Sunday, June 29, 2014

MAKING PROGRESS



Here's a quick shot of the pair of Jacques Adnet-style side tables that I've been working on for months. The leather "people" did a fantastic job of wrapping the top faux bamboo supports in leather...I just have a couple of touch-ups to do--but the tables are fine just the way they are. It is a little scary to design/envision a piece when the artisans who will be executing my vision have never done this type of leather work...... I'll take some better photos next week showing the details. Needless to say, I'm really happy with the results. I like the brass pagoda lamps just sitting pretty on their partners, too.
Now on to Flavio...........Aaaaaay! Well, Flavio did redo the doors and drawer fronts and they are up to snuff. Roberto will give them the once over and then I think that we are done.



This shot shows the credenza before the redo--but it essentially looks the same---except that once you really get into inspecting the details, it is infinitely more finely done. Will I ever use Flavio again? Well, I think that I will put him on the shelf for a little while--I've learned not to burn bridges as Flavio can RESTORE (not refinish) French polish and that is a skill that is ranked up there with gold and diamonds. I definitely will NOT be using him for any lacquer work (or just about anything else).
UPDATE ON PILLOWS


My absolute all-time favorite Fortuny Pillows sold within 10 hours of being posted to 1stdibs. I was sad to see them go so quickly. I will probably have to really hunt to find another textile like this beautiful mint c. 1920 Fortuny--but this piece just walked in the door; so you just never know.

For the next three days Jones and I will be baby sitting 3 cats and one dog and one lizard (at Dao's house) while James and Dao and families take a quick vacation down to Rosarita Beach in Baja. I thought about going, but decided to stay in LA. Our weather has been gorgeous and I'm not really a beach person with my Irish skin. Besides, I need to be Nana to the beasties--not too sure about the lizard as he and I have never really bonded. I guess that as long as I have crickets to feed him, things should be fine.

Be well!
Mary & Jones & Cole & Cats & Lizard.





2 comments:

  1. Dear Mary, another incredible pair of tables, restored so beautifully! You have such a gifted eye. I plan to email you later. Still recovering while basking in the events of a week ago!

    xoxo
    Karena
    The Arts by Karena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karina, I know that you must have had a wonderful time in Laguna Beach!! xoxo
      Mary

      Delete