Tuesday, June 2, 2015

SERENDIPITOUS GIFTS






Isn't this the most gorgeous lamp you have ever seen? It just happens to be late 60's Marbro, in the softest, palest of celadon greens--and look at the detailing of the surface and the quality and purity of form............. 
Of course, it was one of those true gifts--I'd just walked into my auction.........and there it was and up went my hand and it was mine for a pittance. (The rest of the day brought nothing---not complaining, just saying).
As many of you know, I'm a chair addict. I love antique chairs, especially French antique period chairs--I've been buying and selling them for many years,  Well---two days ago, I was sitting in a chair that I gave my daughter at least 5 years ago. I had never paid too much attention to the chair because I bought it for the 7-8 yards of Braquenie fabric that came with the chair.......when I suddenly thought, OMG---this chair is period French Directoire...... the Directoire period was extremely short and there aren't that many examples of Directoire chairs. Sure enough, after I checked the chair, I'm sure it is period--it's pegged, the carved details and proportions are right, the smaller scale is correct. 
Here is a photo of very similar chairs that I snatched from 1stdibs.


Well, Jones and I must get to bed..............

xoxo

6 comments:

  1. Mary the lamp is simply gorgeous, would look stunning anywhere really, great find for the day!!
    Hope all is well!

    xoxo
    Karena
    The Arts by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karena---Yep, all is well. Have a super day! xoxo Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning Mary! Yes, that is a gorgeous lamp, and I could use one like this!!!!!!!

    How very lovely to find your comment on my blog post today! Thank you for the warm welcome, and I wish you an inspiring summer!!!! Anita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anita--An amazing summer to you , as well. It is starting out with a new venture which I'll be blogging about in a few weeks. xoxo Mary (Glad that you are back!!!)

      Delete
  4. That happens to be one of my favorite colors! What an elegant beauty, your celadon lamp. I could do a whole room with this one color - okay, mix in whites and grays, too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Loi, yes I love this deicate celadon!! perfect with Swedish. Be well. Mary

      Delete