Thursday, September 24, 2015

GETTING BACK TO BASICS: MY THURSDAY AUCTION


This signed and number lithograph by Marino Marini is calling to me. I love strong and powerful examples of abstract art. Last month I purchased two Antoni Clave lithographs and an art collector came in just a couple of days after hanging the lithos and out the door they went. Marini is known for his representations of the human form (Cavaliere) together with The Horse (Cavallo). We'll see how the bidding goes. That red horse is spectacular.

Next up on my interest scale is this pair of mid-c solid brass can pendant lamps......the photo is awful, but the pendants are pretty cool. 


I think that the cans are about 18 inches in depth--we'll see. I don't have a very good eye for overhead lighting fixtures of any type, much less modern.


Lately I've been buying Chinese porcelain lamps, but no one has been buying them from me!! Of course, this presents a problem: my instincts are telling me that gorgeous chinese porcelain lamps will be making a come back, but it just hasn't started yet.........
Any way, I'm going to make a stab at acquiring this Chinese Export Famille Verte lamp. It's hiding a the very beginning of the auction which means that I need to be out the door by 7:45 to make sure that I don't get stuck in LA traffic (which seems to be getting worse by the hour). I think that the Famille Verte porcelain dates to the late 19th or early 20th c.; the lamp fittings are definitely mid-20th.  I like the little roosters on the porcelain.....I'm such a sucker for anything with animals on it.......
I'm so grateful to be back on my feet--still not perfect, but so much better. Now, if the weather will cooperate and go back to the respectable high 70s or low 80s, my body will be very greatful, too.

Jones and Cole send love. Jones even went running last night--pretty good for an older guy--but if he doesn't have an hour of exercise, he turns into the world's naughtiest dog.
Wish me luck for tomorrow--the good things is that there is always more stuff.

Mary & Jones & Cole



3 comments:

  1. Dear Mary, I am so happy to hear you are up and doing some of the things you truly love! Great choices here!! Love, love the work of art and the Chinese porcelain lamp!

    xoxo
    Karena
    The Arts by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Hi Karena, Didn't get the Marini Litho--but did bring home the lamp and the 50's pendant lights. xoxoxo M
      Have a super day.
      Mary

      Delete