Tuesday, February 16, 2016

ISN'T HE AMAZING?.............BRUTALIST SCULPTURE


Kevin, the owner of Arroyo Artifacts, sauntered in with this petit rooster in tow. Actually it took two strong guys to bring this guy up the stairs. Arroyo Artifacts is one of the top Mid-Century/Danish 20th c. arts dealer in Los Angeles and (lucky me) Kevin is one of my neighbors at the Pasadena Antique Center. This huge Brutalist Rooster is a great example of the Brutalist Design movement that was influential in the sixties and seventies. The sculpture was created with copper sheeting and has acquired a wonderful patina. I love the rooster's energy and movement--I do wish that I had a place for him, don't think he'd squeeze through the door. Brutalism is just starting to come back into the design world idiom--can't wait to see where this piece ends up. Other sculptures created by George Frederick Holschuh are located in museums around the world.
Here are a few detail photos.




 






I took a couple of shots of the auction description of the sculpture.





Tomorrow is auction preview day--and I'm on the hunt for chairs. As some know, I'm a chair addict and really have to be restrained physically from buying chairs. But I have sold 3 sets of chairs in the last three days; so I'm allowing myself the pleasure of at least being able to consider chairs. And chairs end up being pretty pricey as they usually need to be reupholstered. Which means I then get to go fabric hunting!!
It has been in the mid 90's for days. However, tomorrow we'll get a bit of rain (fingers crossed).

Mary & Jones & Cole

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mary, How are you?
    An amazing sculpture! Congratulations on the sale of so many chairs! Yes, I definitely think you can be on the lookout at auction! !

    Xoxo
    Karena
    The Arts by Karena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karena, thank you!! Sending you an email right now. xoxo Mary

      Delete