Thursday, May 19, 2016

I'M PROCRASTINATING (So what's new?)

I've been busy....maybe hustling is a better choice of words. This is a tough business, so when it flows (as it should) you'd better take advantage of every minute.
Yesterday I previewed my auction and didn't see even one piece that snagged my attention.......but being faithful to my metier, I went today bright and early hoping that something would simply appear. And it did........




I'm not sure, but I think this is a period Regency recamier (at least it's 19th c.) in black lacquer--and we know how much I love black lacquer. Although the lacquer finish is great, the best feature is the fabulous leather upholstery detailed in brass nail heads. If you look carefully, the saber legs have lost their brass toe caps; I've already ordered replacements. Perhaps the recamier had casters at one point, but since it's a good height, I've decided not to replace the casters. What I really love about this piece is its clean, simple sculptural super masculine, but very sinuous and sexy lines (this is not a piece with a high antique value; the value is in the life and energy it will bring to its new home). I can imagine it free-standing in an English or New York library--the back of the recamier is even better than the front. Roberto will polish the lacquer, install the new toe caps and clean and wax the leather and he will be set to go.
Last week I didn't preview (bad girl) and just as I walked into the auction, this adorable mid 18th c. American Queen Anne gateleg table came to the block......





So I bought her. Look at those sexy Queen Anne legs (I think Massachusetts) and beautiful skirt with the scolloped (that's not the right word) ends. I don't think that she has kept her original finish, but the surface has at least 50 to 100 years of patination. This little girl is also sculptural and would make a great sofa table at 47" wide.
This week I also bought a 60's little faux bamboo chinoiserie chandelier like this one that I grabbed from 1stdibs


and two pairs of 18th c. George III side chairs that were almost given away. Although I need more chairs like three new holes in my head, how could I resist??? $80.00 for two pairs of period Georgian side chairs?
It feels good to be in the flow, just resting and knowing that life has a way of working out......it may not be always pretty, but God is definitely in the midst of it all.

We've had a wonderful cool and cloudy Spring and I love it. Tomorrow it will hit a high only in the low 60's; so I get to wear cashmere--my security blanket. 

Blessings and keep shopping!!

Mary, Jones & Cole

No comments:

Post a Comment