Friday, July 7, 2017

ASSESSING





I have been uneasy with my purchases of the past few months--I just couldn't put my finger on what was troubling me; so I took a couple of days to assess what I've been buying recently and to bring to light exactly what I have been questioning. Most of what I have bought has been great--no problems in that area. The items are (for the most part) unique--which is what I strive for; nevertheless, I've been dissatisfied when I walk into the shop--it should be making be happy and satisfied. But it is not.
As I was sitting in the garden with my morning coffee (God made coffee just for me, I'm sure), up popped an explanation. At first I discounted the nudge of truth and then I really concentrated. I've been only buying with one-half of my personality--the multi-cultural, multi-national person who loves super collected, precise antiques that are at home on The East Coast, The South or Europe. But there is the other side of me who loves more rustic pieces with deep patinas, great woods that have their history breaking through their surfaces; marble with the stains of a life well-lived. I think that's also pretty true for what I've been revealing of myself. As usual, the nudging revelations weren't just about what I've been buying--but about pushing me to be more revealing of my true nature. This is going to be a hard one as I'm a very private person, true introvert--but if I need to unfold, I guess I'm going to have to work on it. With growth we do have choices: to stay stuck and unfulfilled (not a great option) or to pay attention and go where we supposed to go.
Now that I'm off my soap box and to tie this into my new buying credo: It was early Wednesday morning when I had this growth inspiration and when I previewed my Thursday auction a bit later...........yep, there were several pieces that dovetailed perfectly with the steps that I need to take.
The table above and below is a mid-19th century French pine folding farm table. The moment I saw it, I knew that it was coming home with me. It doesn't adhere to my usual refinement check list, but it has great classic bones and it's 100% original--super patina and soul and it's a great size--about 74"w x 30"d.


Then I spied this stunning pair of 18th century rococo Swedish side chairs and my soul jumped (I have a thing for chairs, especially 18th c. chairs) I wanted these chairs so badly that I could envision their going into the back of the Explorer......



Next to catch my eye was this sweet 18th c. rococo Swedish table




The paint is not original (it has some age), but its an appropriate color--I love the hand forged hinges and curvy sexy legs.
When I arrived this morning just after the start of the auction, another antique Swede was appearing from beneath a pile of stuff and it looked like it had good bones--now the problem is that I really don't have room for all of this new furniture, but you've got to buy when the piece shows up.
I don't have good photos of this third table--just a couple that I managed to take of the base



It has its original black paint on the trestle base with a scrubbed pine plank top (couldn't reach to take photo)--I love old black painted Swedish pieces. (The French or English would never paint a piece black)
So the Swedish trestle table came home (actually Roberto will be picking this stuff up); the folding French table came home; and the 18th c. Swedish table came home...........
.............The swoon-worthy, to die for Swedish chairs went too high for me to make a reasonable profit. And I'm still sad.
______
The G20 is in full session and I am so ashamed of "Not My President". How can we ever hold up our heads? I pray that no secrets will be revealed to Putin during their meeting tomorrow. But also secretly relish the thought of him making a fool of himself and speeding up the eviction notice.

I need to get to bed as Mr. Jones and Mr. Cole are waiting.

Blessings,
Mary & Jones & Cole




No comments:

Post a Comment