Friday, October 13, 2017

WIN SOME =/= LOOSE SOME

Today was just one of those auction days: TOTALLY UNPREDICTABLE (and then some).
I arrived fairly early, having previewed on Wednesday. I was pretty sure that I would get at least one of the high ticket items that I had my eyes on............well........I didn't intend to bid on a dining room table (space considerations): the bidding started on a Maitland-Smith tessellated and brass inlaid table. I had glanced at it the day before, but knocked it out of contention, not only because of its size, but because of the weight. Check it out


Yes, that is the marble top on its end. The top measures 78" x 40" and its marble. And the base is also tessellated marble. I pulled these photos of an identical table from 1stdibs--pretty impressive table.


 And this table is exactly the reason that I show up early almost every week. Nobody wanted the table--?? maybe it was its large size or the anticipated weight to move it???? I really do not know. 80s furniture is just coming into its own at the moment; so this table is right on point. Anyway, I choose to believe that God wanted to give me a gift today.........I bid $50 and won the bid. Best of all, Roberto can pick it up tomorrow---we tried to fit it into the Trusty Explorer, but the top was 2" too long. Best of all, although heavy, the table isn't as heavy as anticipated.
Now for the "Loose Some"..................
I went to $750 for a round resin-topped table and was the under bidder. I don't think that the table was Aldo Chale, but it could have been???
And I went to $1550 on a pair of late 18th c. Spanish Colonial tin mirrors that were to die for. My friend with the deepest pockets in the world won the bid............I really wanted those mirrors, but there is always next week and maybe, just maybe, Bill will forget to show up. 
Anyway, the auction house loves me (they really do) because my bids brought the bid amounts of the items to respectable levels.
Jones and I need to go to bed...........

Mary & Jones & Cole

No comments:

Post a Comment