Saturday, November 25, 2017

NEW STUFF--I think I'm on a Neoclassical Roll.........

It's been super hot here in Southern California--record-breaking hot and I'm tried of it!! On Wednesday and Thanksgiving Day it was in the higher 90s in Pasadena and today it was down to 88* and a wonderfully cool 68* down here at the beach. That's our crazy micro-climates in full force. Monday we're scheduled for rain and coolness. (Thank you)
Lalo brought back the English Regency Dining Chairs today--the upholstery is gorgeous but see if you can spot his error. I'm not sure exactly how we miscommunicated so perfectly. Oh well, they can be redone. Not sure if I have enough of the silk faille??





These beauties are rosewood and faux rosewood and beautifully detailed in marquetry--the klismos  form is one of my favorite chair forms, dating back thousands of years to the Egyptians and Romans and still referenced in modern design. For example, this set of "Anziano" chairs designed by the famous American designer, John Hutton, for Donghia in the 1980s.


**The Regency chairs were a reward/gift for my showing up and paying attention. I am grateful.
I'm not sure if you can see well enough, but the chairs are sitting on a mid-19th c. mahogany campaign desk that Roberto and I are just starting to restore--this is a big desk with faux partners drawers on the opposing side.
Next up: Last week Lalo brought back the newly upholstered 19th c. Louis XV fauteuils. Although this form isn't truly neoclassical, it is transitional from Rococo to Neoclassical. It's always an adventure when I pick out fabrics: I need to appeal to a broad spectrum of tastes--but my choice can't be too frou-frou, too boring, too common, etc. The fabric that I had chosen arrived and it was not what I wanted; so with Lalo standing there and waiting for me to give him the fabric, I pulled out a French blue-gray linen from my stash and said go for it. And here is the result--





It's perfect: traditional but unexpected and not boring. Lalo did a fantastic job--just look at the care with which he applied the single welt. (A single welt is much more difficult, time-consuming and more costly to apply than a double welt) (note: the tone is more similar to the upper photo--a lot more blue) 
Some people will probably think that I am crazy, but here goes......I bought this pair of Period Deco console bases for a song......and they do need a heap of work. My creative juices were flowing and I couldn't resist. The consoles were super dusty; so I couldn't determine their wood. With "nothing ventured:nothing gained" running through my head and betting the the wood was macassar ebony, I brought them home. And guess what? They are macassar and definitely worth the new tops and restoration needed. I think the new tops will have inset black glass or black marble inserted in macassar-veneered framing tops. Sound good?
 



Of course, we know that I'm a chair addict; and I've succumbed once again. I just couldn't pass on this sweet Anglo-Indian Raj period side chair. It is beautifully carved in a foliate design and I suspect that it's rosewood as it is really heavy.




I had Lalo upholster the chair in a pale gold Italian silk velvet. The carving is gorgeous, but it is the carved toe and intricate skirt that draws my attention. I think think that this petite chair could easily take the place of a sculpture in just about any setting--as a counterpoint to minimalism it would shimmer.
And finally, "Siddhartha Departing" is almost fully restored. It's been a bit of a journey for this guy. I had all of the original pieces, but positioning them just right was not easy--Roberto still has a couple of hours of work remaining to complete him. The figure is extremely heavy; if it were a softer wood, it would have dried out over the years. Not this guy--I cannot lift it at all; so I think that it is most probably rosewood, making the piece more valuable. I think that it most probably dates to the 18th century, although I have it tagged as 19th. The figure is tall, measuring about 43" high... he's a happy guy (but I do believe that he left his beautiful wife and child(?) to seek enlightenment.........MEN!




He's definitely on the  move--look at the horse's raised right foot denoting forward movement.
---I can't pass up posting this 19th c. Sheffield Gallery Tray--it just got spiffed up




The tray is in overall very good condition with the exception of the silver plate having been polished off on the tray section. The quality is first rate and I love the hand chasing pattern. And it's big--about 29" long.



2 comments:

  1. Great stuff and the linen on the fauteuils is perfect. Less can be more but not always. Raining here in NoCal so inside enjoying your finds. Great blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Calvin,
      Thank you for commenting!! I love feed back. Enjoy the rain and send it down here to Los Angeles. Next blog is about the Deco Consoles. Have a great evening. Mary

      Delete