Thursday, November 16, 2017

SWEETNESS


Here's one of the items that I was bidding on today. I love the emotion expressed by these putti lovers. I tried to bring them home, but it was not to be. A few years ago French Terracotta putti were highly salable, but not at the moment; so I have to bid very conservatively. But I love this example which is "After Clodion" and gorgeous. The gilt plinth/stand dates to the 19th century and was also in very good condition.
Although the bidding was rough and very competitive (I spent all day focused on the block), I did find and buy another Swedish early 19th c. trestle table--this one is pretty special (although the black painted top has been refreshed). Look at the unique boot form feet and the double board top......



This table will very comfortably seat six and maybe squeeze in eight. I don't think it will last very long--maybe a new home by Christmas. I love unique period antiques like this one--practical, unique, lots of original patina and very old. I sold two Swedish tables this summer--hopefully just the right person walks in the door.
We bought an antique cast bronze or iron figure of Bacchus on a marble plinth (please excuse this awful photo)


You can tell that it is Bacchus as the figure is pouring from a wine skin into a (now missing) cup. The patination is great (must have been a garden element) and there doesn't appear to be any significant damage. The honed marble appears to be original, too.
And of course, there had to be a sleeper....For about 5 weeks a good set of 4 English Regency Klismos side chairs in mahogany and brass banding had not received any bids--I had really liked them the first week, but wanted to spend money elsewhere at that point. This was the week that the auctioneer let them go---and I bought 4 Regency Klismos chairs for $40.00!! They need new seat cushion frames, but that's a minor detail.
Hopefully, the table will fit into the trusty Explorer tomorrow--it will be a stretch. We'll see: pleased keep your fingers crossed.
Blessings for the week--RESIST.

Mary & Jones & Cole


The boys patiently waiting for breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment