Sunday, April 8, 2018

LESSONS--Check the bottom


I won the bid on this pair of Lemon Garnitures on Thursday. I loved them--they were in fairly good condition and were (G & I thought) Italian from c. 1960s...... They are definitely great decorative pieces, but they are not Italian. Gerry is a porcelain expert, and they fooled him--although neither of us turned over the garnitures to check the bottoms. I guess that I need to learn this lesson over and over--the Garnitures are Chinese and they do have some age, maybe 20 or so years. But I was definitely expecting mid-century Italian....


Lesson: Always preview very carefully and always, always, always check the bottom.
Even though the garnitures are not Italian, I still think that they are great. I'm in a bit of a Palm Beach Period (remember those Italian elephants from a couple of weeks ago?) and the garnitures definitely fit that aesthetic.
I also bought a pair of French marble and iron gueridons and that's it.

Sending blessings for the week.

Mary & Jones & Cole

No comments:

Post a Comment