Wednesday, September 4, 2019

I THINK FRENCH PROVINCIAL DESIGN IS MAKING A COMEBACK


We bought this sweet early 19th c. French walnut drop leaf table last week and had to spend a lot more than I had hoped to bring her home. It's a great table--54" round which means that it can squeeze in 6 for dinner. I'm not sure if it was just a high ticket day or if there is a definite trend brewing, but all French provincial antique furniture went super high. Single 19th c. walnut night stand sold for $600 and another sold for $550. Yikes--just a few months ago these would have sold for about $300/each. I also tried to purchase a small trumeau (very small, but very sweet) in its original blue-gray painted finish--but it went way too high for me. The return of solid French provincial pieces to main stream design would make me very happy, even if I will have to pay more. There is a richness to good country pieces with their original paint and patina that cannot be matched. The layering of textures and mixing of styles adds so much character and warmth to any room. Plus these pieces mix perfectly with mid-century pieces.....add some gorgeous textiles--maybe a kuba cloth runner or two. Pillows in antique ticking? Voila--Haute Boheme or Boho chic depending on the level of pieces chosen.
Anyway, here are few more of my provincial pieces that have been waiting for a new home..........

Period late 18th century Louis XVI begere in original paint and period early 19th c. toile.


Late 18th century Swedish side chairs



Mid-19th century Faux Bamboo Abattant


Early 18th century Regence Bibliotheque (Bookcase)


Late 19th/early 20th century Faux Bois table or stool
with 19th century garden finials


 And maybe a pair of Bagues-attributed sconces to lighten up the dark wood.


Wish me luck tomorrow........hopefully prices won't be so high?!

Blessings for the new month--the sky is just beginning to turn that less-intense blue of fall skies.  But it is still super hot--today was a cool 104-105 at shop. And I melt in the heat. But we'll have a cool-down and then we are not supposed to have any more hot weather and slightly cooler than normal September and October.

I gave to hurricane relief today. The images that are coming from the Bahamas are horrendous. And to think that the storm was only 50 miles from the coast of Florida. I pray that our "not my president" can muster up enough spare change from his emoluments to rush aid to our close neighbors.

Sending blessings for the month.

Mary & Cole

No comments:

Post a Comment