Tuesday, March 31, 2020

WYNKEN, BLYNKEN AND NOD--THE SAILORS THREE

SOCIAL DISTANCING (FAIL)




In these days of trouble and confinement I sometimes wish I were one of "the sailors three"--Wynken, Blynken and Nod. I wish I could sail the seas in a wooden shoe casting my net into the deepest seas. But, since I can't, lets just pretend.
I grabbed these photos from Architectural Digest Online......Pick your favorite island to spend the remainder of our "social distancing" adventure.
Can you guess my first choice? Better yet, pick an island hide-away and then imagine how you would decorate your space using antiques and art to suit the island and the culture. Or imagine how a 19th c. British Colonial would choose to decorate..........
Here are some of the less-traveled islands in which to seek refuge.
This island looks pretty posh!


It's a little too structured for me. But that hasn't stopped me from imagining a few of my newer items furnishing a suite:



I'd place this great mid-century tropical bench at the foot of a luxurious bed--bedding in a Madeline Wienrib textile and abstract rug. I am positioning these two antique walnut chests on either side of the bed





I can imagine the rich patina of the walnut complementing a carved Anglo-Raj carved headboard. 
Now for a pair of lamps for the chests......



Some parrots for the walls







A faux coral chandelier....


A pair of mid-century faux bamboo barrel back chairs in a tropical green (sorry about the photo--these guys didn't make it to shop before we were shut down)



A Mastercraft Brass garden stool/drinks table between the chairs for the Mai Tai's (I'd rather have a martini/Bombay Sapphire gin, please)...



A Regency mahogany tray to serve as a very chic bar (for the Bombay Sapphire)




Placed on the sculptural root table--which could serve as a desk for a luxurious remote office



OK, now it's your turn--here are the Architectural Digest island photos--all less-traveled islands







I hope I've taken you to far-away places and provided a few minutes of day dreaming fun.

Sending blessings,
Mary & Cole


2 comments:

  1. Cutest kids ever. I WANT those brass garden stools. Sadly the ceramic one I have is not a big hit here at home. Stay safe and sane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Thank you!! I'm being very "good"--and still sane. Mary

      Delete