Thursday, December 13, 2012

BAGUES STYLE TABLES...........

Although I slept late this rainy Thursday morning and was dilly-dallying about going to my Thursday Auction, I did make it there in plenty of time to score some little tables. Neither set was there on Tuesday when I previewed the auction; so you just never know what is going to turn up. Thank goodness I followed the quiet little nudge of inspiration that was pushing me out the door. Besides, there was a film crew at the auction that was filming a pilot for a new National Geographic series---I'm going to be on TV? Well, since I don't own a TV (it was rotting my brain)--I guess I'll never know.

One of my good antiques dealer friends is going to have his own antique furniture and design show next season. Bill Gordean is the owner of Villa Melrose, a top fine antiques destination in Los Angeles and a super charismatic guy--perfect for TV. Bill is about 6'6", handsome, gracious and funny--what more would a TV show need? Perhaps this will be just the inspiration required to push the decorative arts field back towards fine and decorative period antiques--of course, always mixing with contemporary and great 20th c. pieces to bring life and positive energy to interior spaces.
Being raised in Mexico which is famous for its modern and mid-century architects designers and artists, I have always loved the mix of fine antiques with ethnic and mid-century pieces. And of course, my seven years in Europe deepened my passion for the "perfect mix". The French mastered "the mix" centuries ago--we are relatively new to this aesthetic. As multi-cultural based Americans, we have much to contribute to the future of design and I can't wait to see the next leap in American design innovation. Currently, we seem to be at a stage of relative insecurity where only named and signed 20th c. pieces are considered highly desirable and the prices are skyrocketing. Unfortunately, some of these pieces were not fabricated to the highest standards (some are even a bit shoddy). I would love to see the American decorative arts buyer reach a level of sophistication on a par with the French, where good design and quality of materials and fabrication is recognized and applauded no matter what the pedigree.

Well, on to my "new" little tables. I have been looking for mid-century French (or American) brass and glass nesting tables for about two years (they used to be much more accessible). Bagues and Jansen (and their imitators) made them in France and a couple of American companies made them here...I finally found a beautiful French set with beveled and banded eglomise tops and finely designed brass legs. And I paid for them--big time!! But........I also bought a pair of sleepers. John Widdicomb was the best of the best of 20th century American furniture manufacturers and I got a pair of small occasional tables (could be a coffee table if placed side-by-side) in an unusual form with great sexy legs. Pictures are coming in the next post as I needed to run up to the shop after the auction and didn't have time to pick up the lots.
I'm still not nearly ready for Christmas.......but am going to make pecan balls tonight. Christmas would not be Christmas for my family if I didn't make at least a few hundred pecan balls. And my daughter (Cole's Mom) is coming tomorrow to help me search my storage for my Noah's Ark animal tree (I collected at least 100 animal ornaments and hung them on a small iron tree--haven't it used in ages)......it will happen.

Be well.

Mary and Jones (& Cole)


No comments:

Post a Comment