Sunday, August 4, 2013

THE BONES ARE SET


This is what our shop in Pasadena looked like when I arrived at 10:15 this morning... ONE ENORMOUS DISASTER. 


  



Thankfully, a bit after I arrived, my wonderful daughter, Dao, came to help. We started chipping away at the mess: bit by bit, clearing little areas of space. Around 2:05 Roberto arrived and we started making music. I had already formed a plan in my head and with Roberto as my wing man, who synchs perfectly with me, things started taking shape very quickly. By about 3:45 (that's only 1.7 hours) this is what we had come up with...


 

   



There is still another day of fine-tuning left: pictures and mirrors to hang, lamps to position, cases to be made right...but the basics are done.
(Please excuse the quality of the last photos--I was pretty tired by the end of the day)
I am so grateful to have Roberto--he gave up his Saturday afternoon with his family to help me. And I love working with my daughter who also gave up time with her family--times spent with the people that we love are so precious and these will be forever cherished memories.

Bernhard Rohne for Mastercraft Chest.
These photos are of an acid etched brass detailed chest of drawers by noted furniture designer Bernhard Rohne. Richard and I bought this little chest on Thursday. I have had a couple of Berhard Rohne pieces in the past and love the traditional form of the chest that is embellished with modern acid etched brass detailing. The craft of etching brass rises to an art form when it is executed by a master craftsman.




Just look at that happy guy depicted on the side of the chest. The chest needs just a bit of restoration to the black lacquer and it will have its brass hardware polished and then it will be ready to go.

Mia and Grace arrived home very late last night. It feels so good to have them close. I will hopefully see everyone tomorrow... so many blessings. Thank you for so many answered prayers.

Jones doesn't know that we have moved..I need to find a spot for his blanket tomorrow.

Have a wonderful Sunday surrounded by love.
Mary & Jones (and Cole)
















3 comments:

  1. Dear Mary your new shop is shaping up beautifully!!
    Amazing how a new space highlights your beautiful antiques in a new way!

    Xoxo
    Karena
    2013 Designer Series

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karena, Thank you--I like it, too. So much more light and more flow. Now, on to La Cienega. That space is much smaller and the puzzle will be a bit easier to fit together. Have a super Sunday.
      xoxoxo Mary

      Delete
  2. Mary,
    How is Mia? I've been thinking about her and you all. Glad she is home.
    Loi

    ReplyDelete