Thursday, July 16, 2015

ASHANTI STOOL: MORE SOULFUL OBJECTS




As I explained in my last post, I have decided to start acquiring objects and furniture with a less-refined, more soulful aesthetic. Last week I found this charming small Ashanti Stool from Ghana (I think). I spent quite a bit of time on the internet trying to find one similar, but no luck. This cutie, that dates to either the early 20th c. or late 19th c. is adorned with a carved snail on one side and a carved turtle on the other. The seat is supported by a roughly carved human figure. I did learn that these stools were highly prized by their owners and were carried with them--this poor guy looks as if he had been dropped and shows an old rough restoration with a reinforcement created with a strip of tin. I love folk art pieces that have this type of rough restoration with the original natural patina.
Apparently, it is believed that when the owner dies, his soul goes to reside in the stool. That being the case, I sprinkled salt on this guy and touched him with bergamot oil (a cleansing oil) in several spots--I really do not need any (additional) unhappy spirits wandering around. And, just for good measure, I have the stool sitting next to a large polished gypsum sphere..........







Business (internet only) has picked up a bit and, as usual, most everything is going to the East Coast. COME ON CALIFORNIA--let's get with the program.

I'm drifting off as I write this--so it's off to bed for Jones and me. 

Sending love,
Mary & Jones & Cole


2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful piece Mary!! So unique in its patina and provenance!!

    xoxo
    Karena
    The Arts by Karena
    Gratitude

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karena. Yes, I think so too. What really intrigues me is that on Monday I decided to look for an Ashanti stool (just out of the blue) and there it was on Wednesday auction preview.
      Have a super week-end. xoxo Mary

      Delete