Saturday, November 4, 2017

JUST A QUICKIE

So many wise people have said that 90% of success in life revolves around a commitment to "just show up".....this is definitely true regarding auctions. I do not usually feel like arriving at my Thursday auction at 9:00 am sharp and spending the entire day mostly waiting with my eyes and ears focused on the auction block....you must pay close attention as the items seem to fly by and you have to bid very quickly. The motto "he who hesitates is lost" is always is play.
This Thursday was no different. As usual, I had previewed the auction on Wednesday. But I always seem to miss spying a lot of the good stuff; so I need to focus what is happening at the "block"--The first item that caught my attention and that I had missed the day before (I don't have a photo; so that will come next week) was a 19th c. Thai or Chinese mounted Buddha. I don't not know much about Buddhas (very specialized), but I love anything with an animal theme.
The horse was great and the mounted figure measured about 40" high.....It came home for a relatively minor price because it was damaged; most of the pieces were there and Roberto works miracles.
Next to catch my eye and was on my list was a set of 4 Chinese Imari mid-18th c. porcelain dishes.


 
I had a hunch that I might be able to snag them if the auctioneer called them "Imari" and not "Chinese Imari"--there are numerous Chinese buyers at the auction who buy up every piece of antique Chinese porcelain that they can find, but many aren't very knowledgeable. I am.
Sure enough, when the dishes came to the block they were announced as "Imari" and no one bid---the bidding was over in less than a minute and I got them for a song. Thankfully,I showed up and paid attention.


Gerry was crazy about this Baker Knole style sofa in its original purple/mauve silk velvet. The photo doesn't reveal the detail that the sides fold down to make a chaise longue. We got it. The best thing is that it doesn't need any work!! It's quite rare and you just can't go wrong with Baker.
And then......Gerry spotted a set of 12 small framed Chinese 19th c. water colors of butterflies. This was another area about which I know only a smattering;
Gerry's an expert in textiles. I thought that we would get them for maybe $500. Well......the bidding started at $200 and away it went. Gerry and I weren't sitting together and I listened to the bidding zoom well past $1000 and I prayed that it was some one other than Gerry who was the second bidder as I knew the guy (very greedy dealer) who was the other bidder. The auctioneer calls out Gerry's name and I wanted to sink in my chair, I gulped and said to myself "at least I only need to cover half".... I guess Gerry sent Tom a signal.
I pulled a couple of examples of mid-19th c. Chinese pith paintings from Google



Naturally, when I got home yesterday, I went on an extended hunt. I had never heard the term "Pith Paintings" as I thought they were executed on rice paper. Pith paper is very thin slices of fiber taken from the inside of the Pith tree. It's fragile and it's quite rare to find complete sets of twelve of the these small gouaches or water colors. You can check out the price point of these paintings on 1stdibs.....Gerry's message-sending turned out to be a great move. 
I'll take photos next week......We hadn't spotted the Pith Paintings on Wednesday, we "just showed up"--of course you have to be prepared to make any endeavor successful, but showing up is essential.

Well, Jones and I need our beauty sleep. 

Does anyone know where I can get a "Resist" sticker? I felt that trump (little t) would be long gone by now, but apparently he's still intent on bringing us down. So I need to get even more vocal. Please keep signing those petitions and making those phone calls and attending marches. We must make our voices heard.
We're loving our first cooler days of Fall. And I get to wear cashmere!!!

Mary, Jones & Cole


No comments:

Post a Comment