Sunday, December 17, 2017

INSPIRATION THIS and THAT

Last week, while watching the BBC, I discovered Grayson Perry. Perry is on England's list of 100 most influential people--(not surprisingly)  I had never heard of him or seen anything equal to his stunning pottery. I became mesmerized by the level of craft, artistry and uniqueness expressed in his work. (I pulled all images from Google)



Perry's art is, to large part, autobiographical. He combines ancient pot forms with current self expression. He labels himself a transvestite (whose alter ego is Claire) and has been married since 1990 to his wife Philippa. Words are insufficient to describe this creative, I'll refer you to Google....





I took away a huge inspiration from the BBC interview (I'm paraphrasing) Perry spoke of integrating all facets of himself or oneself to be present as a whole to everyone at all times. 2018 will be my attempt to be more in the now, to be increasingly authentically present. Quite a chore for a true introvert.

Serendipity and  Gut Buying
While I was researching a French wall paper screen that I bought on Thursday--I was pretty sure that is was antique Zuber--I discovered these French grisaille early 19th c. wall paper screens and panels.


About 12-13 years ago I bought a 6 panel folded early 19th c. screen. I only caught a glimpse of what the front side of the screen looked like, but wanted the 6 antique frames for a project that I was planning. When I got the screen home, I inspected the front decorated panels--they are another of **Dufour's Views of French Ports series. Plus my four Dufour panels are framed by hand printed Japanese paper panels which might be used on Japanese screens of the same time frame. I loved the screen and decided not to sell it and it hung in my living room until it went into storage with my last move. I made no effort to research the panels. My screen is not in great condition, but it definitely compares well to this one. This screen is pricey--so I might just restore my screen this year.
The morale: "Train your mind and follow your gut"

**Dufour was a very prominent French manufacturer of hand painted wall papers of the early 19th c. He  wood block printed the outlines, hand painting the grisaille tones.

And finally,
A friend and I went to the LACMA on Friday to see the 18th c. Mexican paintings exposition. It was phenomenal. Having been raised in Mexico and then living in Spain for 7 years, my heart was humming. Miguel Cabrera was the most famous artist of the 18th c. and there were several of his paintings in the show. A few years ago I purchased an 18th c. Mexican painting--I just had to have it.
    

I did manage to have the painting authenticated by the Denver Museum of Art as most probably painted by Miguel Cabrera or at the very least, his studio. I love this painting--it makes me happy. 

I can't believe its just a week before Christmas and I really haven't done much shopping.....oh well, it always does come together. We are having the usual 16 for Christmas Eve.

Wishing the Spirit of The Christ Child embrace us all.

Mary & Jones & Cole




No comments:

Post a Comment