Tuesday, December 26, 2017

ZUBER SCREEN


Today, I finally remembered to take a couple of shots of the Zuber wall paper screen that I bought at auction a couple of week ago.
As you can see, it's a French country scene in which hunters and their dogs predominate. I wish this were a chinoiserie theme...but I'll settle for the French countryside. Judging by the border pattern, construction (with paper laid to a roughly woven canvas) and the hand painted paper on the reverse, I'm dating the screen to about 1825-40. Most of the screen is in super condition, however, the screen must have been stored in a leaky attic as the upper corners all show water damage and the black of the border has bled onto the stunning blue sky. I'm going to try to have the screen restored, but only the sky portion and slightly into the black border section, as any thing further would involve beaucoup bucks!







I'm taking a few days off from my long commute. We'll see how that goes.......I'm not very good at resting.

Blessings for 2018--politically it appears to be headed for a ride........

Mary & Jones & Cole


2 comments: