Monday, January 22, 2018

18th c. CHINESE LACQUER SCREEN

Last Thursday.....well.....it was just one of those days when the bidding was super high on everything that we wanted. Here's what we did NOT win:
A lithograph by my favorite contemporary Japanese artist Toko Shinoda--she is 104 and still working--was coming up. I sold two of her lithographs earlier this year 


and really wanted this one. I love the ascending blocks (seem to be reaching for the heavens) anchored by the reeds. It was not to be: the one litho went for double what I had paid for the pair.

Amazing lamps and one was damaged


The selling price point confirmed my suspicions: they were part of an 18th c. garniture--the price soared so fast that I couldn't even get my hand out of my pocket.......
Gerry (textile collector) coveted this Chinese forbidden stitch collar



This piece, too, went sky high.
But, as we were wondering whether to leave, my little eye spotted a Chinese Lacquer Table Screen (and I do own a few screens) that had not been unfolded--I knew it was good as it was a folded 10-panel example. I barely glanced at the screen (not wanting to draw attention to it) and waited another hour for it to come to the block. And sure enough it was a "sleeper" (auction term for an item that didn't draw attention or appropriate bids). It came home with me and for just about what I wanted to pay.... finally!!
I didn't get a chance to study the screen until Roberto brought it in on Saturday--and this is what we discovered




Yes. The screen is truly amazing. An 18th c. screen composed of ten 8-inch hand-planed painted panels of an Emperor with highlighting in gold leaf. I didn't look at the reverse until G. came to help me take photos today. (Ooops, left my phone at shop so I can't show photos) The reverse panels are just as beautiful (maybe more beautiful) as the front panels as they are incised/carved court scenes. The front panels have had some restoration work; whereas, the reverse panels appear to be all original. I've scoured the Internet and haven't found any screens quite like this one--and I love it. 
Look what Roberto accomplished in less than 4 hours: the Altar Table is nearly unrecognizable



Of course, the screen is to-die-for placed on the console. Just a bit over the top. And I'm grateful...

Well, true to form, mr. small "t" not-my-president continues to work his magic. A government in chaos and shut down.....draining the swamp. Where would our country be without the millions upon millions of dreamers who have come to start a new life here? Where will we be without the current generation of dreamers who work to make this nation stronger and more compassionate than ever?
The Second Women's March will go down in history. The commitment and vision to effect positive change is growing. Hopefully, by this time next year there will be a huge change in the balance of power in the Congress--dare I say, maybe a new president?

Jones is calling me to bed.

Blessings for the week.

Mary & Jones & Cole






No comments:

Post a Comment