Thursday, January 11, 2018

WE COULDN'T RESIST........


I didn't have any space (or so I thought); so how could I even dream of buying a 10ft long table?
Last night, when Gerry and I decided to buy this table (at my insistence), I didn't have an inch to spare in the shop. But "where there's a will, there's a way" took hold of me. When I had previewed the auction on Wednesday, I quickly glanced at the table and discounted it as huge (no space) and not in good shape and I had never seen a table quite like it. Gerry, on the other hand, did pay more attention and, fortunately, took photos and measured the table. I had thought that it was longer than it actually is and (best part) it breaks down into parts for moving.
After hemming and hawing for a while, we decided to pass. But I kept thinking about the fact that the supporting side pedestals are carved with very high relief dragons and there is fine fretwork throughout...so I called G back and said we had to buy it (still not an inch to spare in shop).
I got to auction right at the beginning (they like to move the big pieces out of the way early) and thought that I might have to wait quite a while--but after only about 10-15 minutes (thank goodness LA freeway traffic had flowed), up came the table........and then, all of a sudden it was mine!!! We paid more than I have in the past for altar tables, but still a great buy.


The most amazingly serendipitous things happened just before and just after I bid the table: I sold a desk before the bid and a 75" dresser a few minutes after (and there went the no "room objection"--how silly I would have felt if I had continued to "think small").

    Intent and stepping out in faith--hard to do, but getting easier.

I haven't been able to find anything quite like this table on the net.....I think it dates to the mid-19th century; it's most probably elm and the carvings appears to be intact. Roberto has his work cut out--at least a day, if not more to really clean and wax and wax again and again..........Don't you just love those dragons?

Prayers are desperately needed for Montecito and Santa Barbara. This tragedy is almost too much to fathom, maybe I'm shell-shocked by all of the disasters and tragedies of the past few months...I feel numb. So many families ripped apart...my heart is beginning to ache for them.

mr. trump is showing his true colors--a Nation that upholds the rule of law; believes in the equality of all men; is founded on the labor and passion of immigrants; has links to Haiti that go back centuries; a Nation that is inevitably linked to Africa as the ancestral home of a huge percentage of our population--we cannot allow trumpian bigotry to be what represents us to the world and to ourselves. We need stronger ties to Africa; we need to fulfill our commitments to assist in the rebuilding of post earthquake Haiti. Strengthening Haiti will serve to strengthen all of us.

              RESISTANCE is the only path open to us.
                           And we will PERSIST. 


Blessings and strength,

Mary & Jones & Cole

No comments:

Post a Comment