Saturday, April 21, 2018

HIDDEN TREASURES



Gerry and I previewed "My" auction on Wednesday and really didn't see anything that he or I wanted. But I decided to go on Thursday anyway........(be prepared for the serendipitous is my motto).
And just look at what appeared--I hadn't spotted the above chair until just before it (and its partner) came to the block...and I was pretty sure of what they were...... I won the bid for a ridiculously low amount. (Forgive the quality of the photo) Yes, that is a c. 1750  Swedish Baroque Side Chair. And we do know that Swedish chairs are super desirable. I wasn't quite sure that they were Swedish because the chairs has been completely stripped of their original off white paint. When I turned the chair over this morning--there were the traces of the original paint. I can't believe that I was the only one at the auction that recognized the chairs for what they were.......the auction was packed with people (and the top LA dealers, too) as numerous items from the Estate of Joan Rivers were being sold, bringing in a large crowd.
I love the crisp and unusual carved splat of these chairs


Note the "spurs" off the top of the crest rails and the "spurs" on the center splat. The center "waist" also makes these chairs quite elegant. I don't believe that the caned seat is original (although it may be). The outline of the chairs is crisp and appealing--great design attributes. And to top this find off, the chairs do not need any restoration work. I suppose that I could find some one to restore the paint, but I like them just the way they are.
Surprisingly (or perhaps not) Gerry brought in this exceptional pair of slightly later 18th c. Swedish side chairs in their amazing original paint.



 This particular shade of blue/gray is moodier than the usual "Swedish Blue" and I love it!!!  Of course, 250 years of patina adds enormous depth to the color. Here's a photo of just the front feet of the chair.

                                                                              You can also see the original (I think?) horse hair and straw upholstery structure (never throw it out if it is still good). 
And just for good measure, here is a pair of English baroque chairs of similar form.


                                                                  
I need to find a pair of chairs just like these. when I do, I just I''ll take a break!!!!!!!!!!

Best Wishes for the coming week--

Mary ‡ Jones & Cole                                                                                                                                                       




No comments:

Post a Comment