Monday, June 11, 2018

SHOPPING--To Buy or Not To Buy

I fell in love with this period Louis XVI large mirror last week. The mirror plate was original (one of my passions) and the carved embellishments were all there--just a couple of minor restoration were needed. And just look at the back--18th c. perfection!!!




But, unfortunately, falling in love with an object doesn't mean I should buy it (insert sad face here). I love the internet and that means I do a lot of market research, i.e., checking to see what my competition for an 18th c. Louis XVI mirror might be.............much to my disappointment 1stdibs lists about 14 pages (100 items/page) of Period French Mirrors.
I don't think I want that mirror with that kind of competition..............
The same goes for this Italian early 20th c. mirror that we loved.......


......there were 11 pages (or so) of antique Italian mirrors.
We both loved this to-die-for cast iron Faux Bamboo patio suite



The only thing needed was to reupholster those six amazing ARMED faux bamboo wrought iron chairs and the 1" thick glass only had one tiny tiny flake........but!! there is the question of how much sq. footage displaying it would consume and the cost of moving such an extremely heavy piece of glass. We were the underbidders--but the set just went too high. (Actually, afterwards, I was super happy that we didn't win the bid.)
Using my brain as a separate entity, totally removed from my emotions (but not my intuition) we did buy a few super things.
I love almost all blues----the intense blue of this set of three Chinese Monochrome and FLAMBE (be still my heart) jars is show-stopping.




My rationale (perhaps justification is a better word) is the amazing vibrant and rare color of the jars. The jars are missing their original porcelain lids (which is the reason the Chinese buyers backed down) but the high decorative value of the jars remains. The energy added to a room with the use of this color is spectacular.
The next item up (actually a pair) was chosen for its rarity, condition, value, and decorative value.




And because I love 16th-18th c. works on paper. Albertus Seba (1665-1739) was one of the premier engravers of forms from nature of the 18th c. and wrote the famous "Cabinet of Natural Curiosities" ---his original works are highly desirable. Additionally, look at the detail of the framing



--the matting combined with the wide carved and gold leafed frame is exceptional. Even though works on paper are hard to sell, I still love them and they are also a bit like money in the bank.
Now.....I just need to sell this stuff.

I'm expanding my space next week--painting, lighting and moving; so I most probably won't get a blog post written. So blessings for the week and  please send some prayers for Jones.

Mary & Jones & Cole






No comments:

Post a Comment