Wednesday, June 27, 2018

IT'S BEEN TOO LONG..........

And now it's been even longer as I started this post last week. It's busy.... I find that my Internet work is taking up more and more of my time. But I am so grateful that all of us are able to reach an entire universe if we put in the effort--amazing. I even have some items going to Moscow this week. Sending furniture to Russia is complicated and not for the feint of heart.

Jones in his prime



I have a fantastic update re. Jones (the world's best poodle): I took him back to his original vet (I now live about 20 miles away), Dr. Starr took two x-rays and found the problem. He has a pinched nerve in his lower spine that was progressively affecting his back legs. One shot of cortisone and gabapentin twice a day and Jones is almost back to normal. Still not jumping on my bed, but I'll settle for being able to walk w/o pain.
I (Roberto) have been working on my expanded space. It's taking a bit longer than my usual 2-3 days and ready to go, but it's coming. G. chose the first color for the back wall and it sucked all of the energy out of the room; so I chose a new color (surprise......) and we are half way there.



I still need to get the gold-framed pictures up-- which will really pop against that wall. The wall color was not intentional, I was aiming for a more green tone--but we know how colors change w/lighting. At first I was shocked, but it's growing on me. And it's drawing a lot of attention. Maybe I'll give it a light green wash???...we'll see.
Notice that set of four arm chairs on either side of the altar table? 



Here they sit waiting to be auctioned off. G and I thought we would have to compete against a deep-pockets dealer, but they went for a song... And they are great. Due to the painted detail on the backs, I thought that the chairs were 19th c. in an 18th c. style. When I got them in the trusty Explorer and upside down so that I could check out the legs, feet and construction, it became apparent that they were definitely 18th c. and Portuguese. The chairs have been over-painted, probably in the late 19th or early 20th c. as the chairs display a wonderful natural patina. I personally think that the chairs are a bit outrageous--and perfect for a wine cellar or tasting room with those grapevine painted back splats.
I'm on another outrageous quest tomorrow.......
I used to think that great couldn't be ugly; but I'm evolving and what I used to think was unattractive, is becoming interesting.......Hmmmmmmm.
I love this small sofa (or settee) and chair that is coming up for auction tomorrow





I have never seen anything like this pair.......the original (I assume) dark mahogany finish has been stripped off leaving bleached bare wood. Just look at those Corinthian columns. The carved capitol is rather impressive and those funky feet--almost sexy.
I thought that I would upholster the sofa in a rich dark gray Belgium linen, replacing the channeled back with a tufted back. (Lalo is the master of tufting.) Taking these guys from quasi-feminine to very masculine. Ideas??
Here's a photo of the front of shop--before I take it all apart tomorrow.



Blessings for today.

Reminder: Contact your Senators regarding the Supreme Court vacancy. We cannot allow another justice that might limit our hard-won rights as citizens and work to disassemble our amazing democracy.

Mary & Jones & Cole



1 comment:

  1. Dearest Mary, good morning! And a "hello" to Jones, whom I hope to see get better and better! (I LOVE POODLES!) - That settee, oh my goodness, do I love a good settee and your wares are fabulous. I wish you continued success in your business, and thank you so very much for your kind comment on my recent blog post. Health and happiness to you all! Anita

    ReplyDelete